Plastic or stainless light niche?

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
My PB prefers plastic... I had asked for stainless. Is there any issue over time with salt water or chlorine and a stainless steel niche? Seems to me that the only drawback to plastic is initially at the time it is shot if it cracks... any other reason to go with stainless?

Stainless works great if it is in air, there is an issue called crevice corrosion that can affect stainless that is not exposed to air (such as when its underwater). That is why boats that have stainless fittings up top will use bronze or plastic fittings underwater.

Do the Pentair stainless steel niches have some special coating that will inhibit corrosion? They sell them as the Cadillac niche for their lights. They recommended them over the plastic, although they said they sell a lot of plastic as well. My PB already ordered them... I thought I could still change this morning... guess not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.