Am I the only that is dealing with the CYA being too high?

Apr 2, 2011
Recently, I have been dealing with an abundant amount of algae growth in my fresh water pool. I maintain a chlorine level of 5.5ppm possibly higher. I have also noticed that the CYA levels have peaked to 100ppm no thanks to the 3" tri-chlor pucks that I have been using. So, I have been doing some research I have come across the only way to reduce it without seriously screwing up the other chemistry of the pool is to drain it a few feet and refill it.

The PH as well as all the other chemicals test in a very good range except for the CYA. I have a Taylor 2006 test kit that I use regularly. Now, I have come across several online opinions as to what is too high of a CYA reading. Some suggest that 100ppm is not too high. Well, tell that to the algae growing on the floor of my seriously chlorinated pool that I have to scrub every other day.

So yesterday, I went ahead and dropped the water level 1-1/5' and refilled it. It basically took 5-6 hours, which dropped the CYA from 100ppm to 70ppm. With fall coming up, I will need to drain it again. So I will repeat the process next spring.

I'm hoping to be around 30-50ppm by next year.

What a hassel this is! Why are there not more people dealing with this problem? Am I the only one using a automatic feeder with the 3" Tri-chlor tablets? I use the recommended amount and set the feeder to 3.5. I think I understand why the CYA is rising, but the way I see it, the only way to stop it from getting higher is to stop putting it in the water via the 3" tablets.

This is only my second year with this new pool.

At this point, I have switched to liquid bleach and shock if needed. Even more frustrating is I have a really nice clear inline Rainbow feeder that I can't use anymore.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Maybe, it is due to the lack of rain in our area. We are in a drought as is half the nation.

I will retest today to see if the level has maintained or if it has gone back up again.

I'm Really frustrated because I have a 50lb pail of unopened 3" tablets that I can not use.

Also, since I have made the investment with the feeder, are there any non-stabilized 3" or 1" tablets I can use in place of the tri-chlor?

I noticed the previous thread about the weed and feed and have commented on the thread about the fertilizer & CYA.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Am I the only that is dealing with the CYA being too hig

Virtually everybody here has switched from or never used the feeders because of the CYA problems.

This is an exceedingly common problem, one that most of the pool industry is in denial about.

There isn't any kind of non-stabilized chlorine that you can use in your current tablet feeder. There are other kinds of feeders you can get, for example a liquid chlorine pump system, that can be used instead which don't have any CYA.

The reason why some pools get away with a high CYA level is because they are adding extra stuff to the pool such as phosfree, algicides, etc. All of these extra chemicals are not needed to maintain an algae free sanitized pool and they drain your wallet. The pool stores love to sell all these extra chemicals. You just need to follow the FC/CYA guide in Pool School and that takes care of the proper sanitation that you need.

With CYA now about 70, you need to keep FC between 5 and 8 and never below 5.

If you have algae, you should follow the shock process in Pool School until you meet the three criteria to show when you are done shocking.
link: pool-school/shocking_your_pool and this one: pool-school/defeating_algae

After next year when you have your CYA down to recommended levels, you can use the trichlor tabs and feeder when you go on vacation. Or, maybe you can return the trichlor for a refund and buy a smaller amount when wanted/needed.

btw, having an overstabilized pool is a quite common.

Have you found the PoolCalculator.com?

OK, I get it.

At this point I will discontinue the use and unplumb the feeder from the system. I put unions prior and after so no big deal.

I'm just going to work on bringing down the CYA level and switch to bleach as previously mentioned. I wont be easy, but one thing for sure, I will never again use the tablets!

Anyone interested in purchasing a New unopened 50lb bucket of Tri-chlor? I have a great price.

Thanks

knackll said:
OK, I get it.

At this point I will discontinue the use and unplumb the feeder from the system. I put unions prior and after so no big deal.

I'm just going to work on bringing down the CYA level and switch to bleach as previously mentioned. I wont be easy, but one thing for sure, I will never again use the tablets!

Anyone interested in purchasing a New unopened 50lb bucket of Tri-chlor? I have a great price.

Thanks
Never say never.

I reduce CH by using pool water on the lawn. CYA goes down as well. When I leave town, in goes the floater with the pucks.

They'll keep a long time as long as they stay dry.

I know I'm a little late, but if it makes you feel any better, knackll, I run into this problem all the time. I manage a pool store and regularly test my customers' water. I try to educate my customers as much as possible on proper pool chemistry, but right around the end of July into early August I begin to see a terrible trend of CYA testing > 70ppm, often > 100ppm. It's frustrating because I advise everyone I can at the beginning of the season on how to adjust their CYA and warn that repeated use of 3" tabs and dichlor(which 80% of people in this area use) will result in over-stabilization. It's almost like a slap in the face when they come back with a reading of 120. And then they get mad at me when I tell them to drain half their water. :roll: It's not like I'm trying to sell you a $40 bottle of phosphate remover you don't need - I don't make a dime off you draining your water.

Uh, sorry for the rant. Anyway trichlor has its uses. If your CYA ever goes low you can use them to top the levels off. They're also handy for removing organic stains off the bottom/walls of concrete pools. Jury-rig them onto the end of your telescopic pole and scrub the stain.

Just whatever you do, do NO put any other form of chlorine in your feeder. It can and will explode.

It is also a common state law that you cannot return chemicals due to hazmat issues. I know here in New Jersey it is, at least. If you really want to unload those pucks I would use craigslist rather than trying to bring them back to the store. We pool store monsters hate returning things.

Mizu said:
I know I'm a little late, but if it makes you feel any better, knackll, I run into this problem all the time. I manage a pool store and regularly test my customers' water. I try to educate my customers as much as possible on proper pool chemistry, but right around the end of July into early August I begin to see a terrible trend of CYA testing > 70ppm, often > 100ppm. It's frustrating because I advise everyone I can at the beginning of the season on how to adjust their CYA and warn that repeated use of 3" tabs and dichlor(which 80% of people in this area use) will result in over-stabilization. It's almost like a slap in the face when they come back with a reading of 120. And then they get mad at me when I tell them to drain half their water. :roll: It's not like I'm trying to sell you a $40 bottle of phosphate remover you don't need - I don't make a dime off you draining your water.

Uh, sorry for the rant. Anyway trichlor has its uses. If your CYA ever goes low you can use them to top the levels off. They're also handy for removing organic stains off the bottom/walls of concrete pools. Jury-rig them onto the end of your telescopic pole and scrub the stain.

Just whatever you do, do NO put any other form of chlorine in your feeder. It can and will explode.

It is also a common state law that you cannot return chemicals due to hazmat issues. I know here in New Jersey it is, at least. If you really want to unload those pucks I would use craigslist rather than trying to bring them back to the store. We pool store monsters hate returning things.

Nice to hear about a knowledgeable and honest pool store :goodjob:

Those trichlor tablets will keep a long time, just put them away somewhere until you get the CYA down to the lower part of the suggested range.

And I hope you will keep the auto feeder in the system.

I use mine for nearly every vacation. I can use about 7 trichlor tabs a week and add enough chlorine for the week and get about 10 ppm rise in CYA. So if I start from CYA 30 I can go two weeks and get to CYA 50. That's fine, I don't get too many chances for a two week vacation. Once it is at CYA 50, the pool sitter has to use bleach and test the pool a lot more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.