Use for Pucks?

cps51

Jun 26, 2012
I have a bunch of pucks I will not be using now. Clorox makes a toilet bowl cleaner that is dichlor that goes in the toilet tank. Seems like my unused pucks could be used the same way. Thoughts?

I think any of the products that are put in the toilet bowl are pretty harsh on the rubber and plastic in the tank ... personally, I would not use them.

Save the tablets for vacations or for future years where you may need to bump the CYA.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You can use them in the toilet, but you will not like how strong the smell is, unless you are flushing a lot. The concentration is also pretty distructive to plastic and rubber in the tank itself.

As stated above, they are an OK solution for vacation use, so long as you leave a little CYA headroom for their use.

Tablets are strongly acidic and will create a very acidic environment in that tank that could cause damage to metal and plastic surfaces in there. And like elwood58 says, the chlorine smell would be fairly stout. Best thing to do would be for you to hang onto them for future use (vacations, times when your CYA is a little low, etc.).

Pucks will keep for years as long as they are kept dry. My CYA needed a little bump due to lots of rain this summer so I have been using pucks that have been stored in my garage for 4 years.

You can use the "Effects of Adding Chemicals" section at the bottom of the Pool Calc to figure how much a tablet would add. Just put your pool size in the cell at the top and then use the weight of the tablet to see what one would add.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Baba Rambler and UnderWaterVaya,

I found the Pool Calculator, thanks!

But the Effects of Adding Chemicals have a choice for Trichlor. Is that the same as almost the same as pucks, assuming most of the weight of the pucks is Trichlor and not the other constituents, like CYA (cyanuric acid)?

It must be, b/c the calculator gives you the 4 different effects (chlorine, CYA, pH, Salt) from the "Trichlor" choice.

;-)

Just to expand a little...

Pucks can come in two forms:

Trichlor & CalHypo. CalHypo pucks are typically wrong for pools for various reasons and are intended for ponds as I understand it.

Trichlor can be supplied as a puck or a powder. Either way the weight tells you the impact this will have on the pool.

Trichlor from some companies also comes with added ingredients sometimes - check the label. Some include copper...

Well, let me qualify that. There are some pucks that are not tri-chlor ... there are some that are cal-hypo (I think) and some I heard about that actually have no chlorine in them (just baking soda and some other stuff).

Looks like UWV also caught my omission.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.