Hayward Aqua Plus Wiring Question

Jul 17, 2012
Hello all! This is my first post so bear with me. I just installed a new Aqua Plus using the existing conduit to the pump to feed 3 new 8ga wires, 2 hot and one ground. Therein lies my problem. The 220V pump works fine. However the 120V equipment, including the Aqua Plus doesn't work because there is no neutral line attached.

I have no more room in the conduit to run another 8ga neutral wire. Is there a solution or do I have to install a new conduit for the neutral wire?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Why did you need #8 wire?
How far is it ran?
What size is the conduit?

According to the Aqua Plus manual you should have ran 100 amp service to it.

According to the NEC you can run 4 #8 awg wires in a 3/4" conduit.

Thank you for the reply! The run is about 110ft. I used the existing conduit which was only 1/2". The run is mostly under my pool decking, so running another conduit is impossible. I will have to run the new cable a totally different route. Possibly up through my attic and down the opposite side of my house.

That is why I used #8. It was the maximum I could fit in a 1/2" coduit. My Aqua Plus "sub panel" will be limited to 40amp service. This should be fine since the 220V pump has been wired on a 20a circuit for years and has not been a problem. The only load I have is the pump and the Aqua Plus itself.

Kevin

three #8 wirers in a 1/2" conduit is way over the fill limit allowable by the NEC for that size conduit. 2 #8's are at the limit. Why so large of a cable for that small of a load (20 amps)? The voltage drop over that distance will only be a couple of volts at best even with a #10 wire.

1/2" conduit is rated for 4 #10 THHN/THWN wires.

What is the total current draw for the system you are installing?

According to my calculator (3)-#8 awg wires will fit in a 1/2" conduit with a 35% fill. However that's a moot point as 3 wires won't help you.

(4)-#10 awgs will fit in a 1/2" conduit and 110' at 30 amps will give you about a 3.5% voltage drop. So if you stay at 30 amps or less you should be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.