Vacs for Above ground pool what do you have

I use the Intex vacuum that came with my pool when I need to do it quickly.

I use Hayward Critter -- Wanda the Whale when I can put her in for an hour or better yet, two hours.

Hayward Bug here - her name is Rosie she is doing better with the leaf attachment - or maybe I think she's doing better since I can see what she's doing and if she has an air leak or not. She does a very good job but woe to anyone who does not get a good seal when putting together the pipes - then she doesn't work. With everything we have going on my time is limited so using a vacume that doesn't require me is great!

For spot cleans I use this http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... -Spot-Vac/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We purchased the Dirt Devil automatic (suction side) cleaner for our above ground Intex. I used this for over three years, and it does a pretty good job. It moves randomly across the pool floor but you can vary the pattern a bit by adding or subtracting one length of hose. I would put this in and let it go for a few hours maybe twice a week and i hardly ever had to manual Vac at all.

Note if your pool is very dirty you may need to clean the filter during the clean time as loss of suction will stop this thing dead. It only has one moving part, a weight that moves back and forth due to water flow and it scoots the cleaner around. I believe the wife found this for about $100.00 on sale and it did a good job for our AGP. It is now in another county still cleaning my previous pool for a new owner.

We love our Wanda Wonder Whale by Hayward. We used her on our first Intex Metal Frame pool, and upgraded to a Hayward 1 hp pump since the Intex pump was not powerful enough to run her. We also put in a through wall skimmer on our Ultra Frame pool. Can't figure out for the life of me why they put those silly skimmer baskets on those nice pools. She even gets the corners on our rectangular pool. One word of caution. Don't coil the hoses when you take her out of the pool for they will stay that way and get kinked. We made "saddles" like the ones folks have made for solar covers. They hold the hoses with out kinking them. We paid $99 for her last year on Amazon.

Let us know what you end up getting!

Cheers,
Liz

Originally had an Aqua Bug...it didn't do a very good job. Next I bought a Lil Shark. It works well when I use the suction cleaner. I also bought a leaf trap to put inline with it. The beginning of last season, I bought a Pool Rover Jr. I Love the robot. It cleans so much better than the suction cleaner.

I have a barracuda cleaner and it works well.
The key to suction side cleaners that have detachable section hoses is not to store them coiled up.
I take mine apart after every cleaning and store them in one of those plastic Christmas paper roll storage containers.
If you store the hose sections coiled up the cleaner will stay on one side of the pool from the Hose being coiled.
Learned this the hard way and had to buy all new hose sections.

momto4monkeys said:
What kind of vac do you use for you metal frame pool. We purchased the catfish 3 months ago and it has died already. Very disappointed for the price I paid for it. While it worked it was great.

Lil Shark. Shortened the hose to avoid the stairs. Working great for this season. We shall see next year. Very little moving parts is what sold me.Less parts to wear out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.