When to change SAND in sand filter?

Jul 23, 2012
I just started really getting into looking after my mom-n-law's pool and thanks to TFP members/Pool School/PoolCalc and new test kit, it looks great (just gotta stop testing the water sooo much tho). I have a question regarding the sand filter. When do I need to replace the sand in the filter. The name brand is Hayward and the label states it holds 300lbs of sand. Just to be curious today I took the small top of the sand filter and looked in and noticed the sand level was noticably below half full. Is this a problem? Can I just add to or is it better to replace with specified amount. I do not know when the sand has been replaced but I do know that it has not been in the last 5-6yrs. Also what is the best place to get replacement sand if advised I need too. Thanks in advance. Carl

We almost never recommend replacing the sand, but since you don't know how much is gone or how much you need to add, its probably a good idea just to buy the recommended amount and remove what's in there and refill fresh.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.