Help new fill with new liner

May 17, 2010
Still cloudy because of dirt from the water fill. New liner installed. Pump up and running here are my numbers

FC 0
PH 0
TA 120
CH 80
CYA 0

Where do I start and how do I raise the PH? Thanks

koliver13 said:
thanks so I added 1 gallon of 12% bleach. Hung my with granular stabilizer in front of the return. Any thing else i should do now retest in several hours?
How much cya is in your sock and what is your target? Don't test for it for a few days, it can take a week to show up in test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No way should I be second guessing the pros, so take what I say with a giant grain of salt: but, 50 seems high to me. I'd target 40 and use it like that for a bit to be sure you want it higher. Easy to add, hard to subtract. You want it as low as is easy to maintain daily, especially if you travel much and want some leeway to use pucks very infrequently for vacations.

Thanks for all the input. I will measure tonight to see If I have any CYA but I also thought i would need to add more stabilizer to reach 40-50. the water is clear but still dirty. Measured FC last night at 4.5 with .5 CC. This morning was cloudy so remeasured got reading of 3.0 and .5. should I continue to moniter before adding any more bleach and finding out what my CYA is?

New liner and fill Questions

Added 4 lbs of stabilizer. Been adding Bleach. Will test CYA tonight started with 0
FC 4-5
CC .5
PH 7.5
TA 120
CH 80
CYA?

Question is do I need to shock when I've reached my CYA? Do I do an overnight FC test at that time? I keep adding bleach to keep the number up until I have a CYA read is that correct? Have full sun would like to keep at 40. Going slow on the CYA add to make sure I don't over do. I'm still cleaning out the dirt from the fill but it looks clear but still have dirt in robot and skimmer stockings. I should have it cleared out by tomorrow. Thanks

Re: New liner and fill Questions

According to the poolcalculator 4 lbs. should give you a CYA level of 21. The CYA might take up to a week to show on your testing. You can assume that is what you have in your pool and adjust your chlorine level accordingly. If you have dirt in your fill water, then yes, you should be shocking and doing the overnight test. Your shock level should be 12 (based on a CYA of 21) from the poolcalculator. If you successfully shock now, you won't need to re-shock if you add more CYA next week, just adjust your daily chlorine level based on your new CYA level.

cya takes up to a week to show up. Since you know you have added 4 lbs... add the 2 lbs more you mentioned...that should take you to ~31 ppm. Wait a few days to test for it, but assume the cya is in there for FC levels.

Since your water is clear, but you have had dirt, I would do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT), I would run your FC up to 12 ppm (your current shocking level) to do the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.