Testing at the pool store

Aug 5, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum but have been taking care of my own pool for 9 yrs now. I generally have done a good job. Now for the confessions: I usually use the test strips and bring a sample to the pool store every few weeks. I use Pinch-a-penny - they seem to do a good job and the numbers seem to correspond well to what I am seeing in the pool and on my test strips. It is a very busy store and they crank out a lot of testing and seem to be very proficient at it. What do you think? I know I am being a bit lazy and probably should be testing myself.

My Pool - 50 by 18 with 8 ft spa, gunite, approx 40K gal, 2-Aquarite 40K salt generators, Jandy 60sqft De filter and an ozone generator. Due to heavy rains and just getting back from a long vacation, stabilizer is currently low (20ppm). pH 7.5, total chlorine 4.0ppm, fc -4.0, CC -0, TA-70ppm, CH-325ppm, salt 3200ppm. I have just developed some small green spots of algae in the deep end. I am thinking about adding borates after reading here. Thanks for any comments or thoughts - Dan

Welcome to tfp, sullid01 :wave:

sullid01 said:
What do you think? I know I am being a bit lazy and probably should be testing myself.
Sounds like you already know what we think :wink:

Many people get by with the method you have gotten by with...until something goes wrong. The method taught on here prevents people from that, and also helps people fix it when it does go wrong.

sullid01 said:
I have just developed some small green spots of algae in the deep end.
You need to do the shocking process...and you will need an appropriate test kit to do it efficiently. I like the tf-100, fast shipping and most bang for buck.

I guess the main disadvantage to the pool store testing is you just don't do it as much as you should. I am planning a shock treatment and to get a good test kit. I am also going to add borates to the pool. Time for some scrubbing. Just bought the Tf-100 - Thanks - Dan

sullid01 said:
I guess the main disadvantage to the pool store testing is you just don't do it as much as you should.
And results tend to be very inconsitent.

sullid01 said:
I am planning a shock treatment and to get a good test kit.
Good idea on the test kit...for the shocking process, make sure you read the link I posted above. Shocking is not a treatment, but a process of raising your FC level appropriately high and holding it there until you pass all three end of shocking criteria.

sullid01 said:
Just bought the Tf-100
Now your dangerous :twisted: ...to those organics in your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.