Painting pool walls?

May 13, 2009
Mn
Our hoa is being the biggest pain. They are taking us to court unless we change our pool to be the exact same color as our siding. They won't budge, even though I explained if we paint it and the paint peels it will look like horse doo doo, plus it will void our warranty. They still insist that we make the pool the exact color. I have resin top rails so I don't know what we can do about those.

What kind of paint would I get to paint the walls? They are coated steel. I just think anything we apply is going to run off.

Our other option is removal, and go to a 24ft intex, but I hate the idea of dumping 10,000 gallons of water every year! Plus storage of a pool that size will probably fill our garage!

Our pool was installed last July so it is still new.

Any idea of what we could sell it for since it is still new? Would the liner need to be replaced if someone bought it? We paid almost 5000.00 for it.

Thanks.

Wow, you hoa sounds really fun (I bet I would have been kicked out within my first year...part of the reason my wife and I did not look at house controlled by hoa's) :(

I think you could paint the metal walls, and it should stick pretty good. If your have resin verticals that they make you paint, the paint on those might not stick/stay long though. I would do that before taking it down and going the intex route. However, it you went the intex route, you do not have to take it down in the winter. Just treat it like a traditional agp, and drain down 6" below openings and cover.

Is the yard fenced? Can anybody even see it normally? I'd rather put up another short fence up to the top and make it look like siding and paint that rather than the pool wall and add some accent shrubs/hedges. I'm betting the paint won't stick.

If we did and intex the hoa requires them to be taken down by September 15.

We do have a fence, aluminum - rod iron type look. The hoa flat out refuses any type of wood fence otherwise we would have just put up a solid fence to quiet them. We do have two trumpet vines and some othe kinds of vines crawling on the fence but their concern is in the winter when those vines die back (normally the pool would have 2-3 feet of snow around it with the winter cover on, but that isn't good enough).

These people are horrific! Seriously, the only way we can appease them is removal (ultimately their desire) or paint it. We moved to this neighborhood 5 years ago (from literally 1/2 mile away) and were told we could have an above ground pool. It's ridiculous to everyone I tell the story to, but the board doesn't get it. My pool is an eyesore (although only 1 house sees it directly) but their trampoline, run down deck, or boat isn't. All a matter of opinion.

What do the bylaws say? Does it in fact have to be the same color or does somebody have a stick up there you know what? How awnry are you? Talk to a lawyer and go head to head with them they might just back off or just paint it it can all be painted and there is paint for plastics go to a paint store and tell them what you need to paint they know what to use.

There are a couple of neighborhoods near us (Lino Lakes) that are that way too (maybe not quite as bad as yours is however). I would have absolutely no patience with it...so it is good that I do not live in one. An acquaintance of ours bought a lot in one of the them...after they found out how anal the hoa was, so they sold the lot.

HOAs are supposed to publish their regulations. Do you have a current copy of yours? If there is nothing specific in the regs about having an above ground pool I'd tell them to go pound sand. If they are allowing other violations and nitpicking your property it is time to fight back. Take lots of pictures of other violations and include a date stamp. Prepare a case since even if you do as they ask they will come up with another reason to try to make you get rid of it.

The covenants merely state that any above ground pool requires Arc (architectural committee) approval. Now that's where they can be jerks because the arc guidelines for stuff like this don't exist so they can make up whatever they want and it states they have the right to change the rules anytime.

It's just a nightmare...we just need to find a way to mask the pool. We've thought of putting cardboard up around the walls, putting the winter cover over the fence so they can't see the pool, tacking plywood to the fence so they can't see in and putting landscape fabric on the fence so they cant see in.

We've tried contacting a few lawyers and the answers we get are they don't represent homeowners, they have a conflict of interest, and cases against a board the judge sides with the board.

So some kind of plastic paint would work on the resin? If we're talking spray paint, I can't imagine the cost to paint a 24' pool. I just can't imagine how horrible this is going to look...

If we could afford an in-ground we'd do that - after spending 11,000 on pool, fence, and landscape we can't. The city changed the rules so we can now get one (the only reason we went above ground was because of the city)...I was just too anxious to get a pool....or maybe it was my argueing with them on how ridiculous their rules were for hard surface cover!

MNPoolDreamer:

In addition to going to a paint store, it might be worth your time to go to a boating / marine shop and see what options they might offer. I've read that oil-based epoxy paint followed up with a coating of urethane works well for painting exterior aluminum walls. Ask the paint store or marine shop about this method. Another thought: Maybe a professional could coat the walls with some sort of electrostatic coating (similar to powder coating). Not sure about the cost though, but might be worth a shot to find out ...just a thought. Just remember, with any paint (especially for special service applications) surface prep is critical.

MNPoolDreamer said:
My pool is an eyesore (although only 1 house sees it directly) but their trampoline, run down deck, or boat isn't. All a matter of opinion.
Sounds like your HOA is doing selective enforcement. Take pictures and document other violations. This should help your case.

I'm definitely with linen on HOA's. We would not look at any house controlled by mandatory HOA's. Saying I wouldn't have the patience for that nonsense is an understatement. Our RE agent mentioned there is an increasing backlash against HOA's as an increasing number of buyers are stating a desire to avoid HOA neighborhoods due to stories of HOA over-zealousness along with the "privilege" of paying dues for all this hassle. Ironic since the original premise for HOA's was to preserve property values but the opposite could happen if more people avoid looking at houses controlled by HOA's.

woodyp said:
Is the yard fenced? Can anybody even see it normally? I'd rather put up another short fence up to the top and make it look like siding and paint that rather than the pool wall and add some accent shrubs/hedges.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did the HOA provide approval prior to you starting the pool project? If so did it contain any stipulations to exterior color? If not...go ahead an d fight it in court. Sorry to hear you are having to go through this.

That's just absurd...they will allow a temporary pool of any color to be in your yard for 4+ months, but they will not allow your $11k ABG to be up in the dead of winter? :shock:

Sorry...but like Linen...I'd probably not last long in an HOA community

You might be able to get vinyl in the right color and apply it to the panels.
You may be able to add a short vinyl fence around just the pool.
What about evergreen plants?
Can you deck all around?

I guess I am assuming from reading this thread that the arc comm approved this install, and now they have changed there mind (laws) and are telling you that now after 1 or 2 seasons you need to do something?

I would do as others suggest and go around the neighborhood looking for violations. I would study up on the regs of the HOA and take a time stamped pic of every violation in the entire neighborhood and bring it to the board and fight it. Along with that I would bring a solution that is appealing to you and present it to them. Painting the Dang pool is retarded and will look so unless you spend a lot of time on it with some decent equipment, that doesn't include a can of krylon! Maybe if you posted a few pics here this forum will help you out with some suggestions. My first one without seeing what your talking about is just planting some evergreen shrubs around the side of the pool that is causing the problem. That would not be a huge expense or project and will hide the side 12 months out of the year.

I would think some nice landscaping would be more appealing to an HOA(neighborhood) than a pool painted with a can of krylon! IMHO most people on these boards have no clue or common sense. Thats just my .02. There's more than 1 way to skin a cat I would try to find a better way for you and push them to accept that. Sounds like they change and make law what they want so try to get them to see it your way. Also if you come up with a good alternate idea you may find a lawyer who may help

Sorry your having such a hard time.

You should be able to paint the metal walls without an issue, you may need to do a light scuffing on the coating, but that would likely void the warranty. Is there a possibility you could make a deck to go around the pool? Even a small one with a little walk around, then you can mask the sides with lattice and pretty vines, and they don't have to see the "ugly" pool. As for the resin top rails, I do not believe you will be able to really paint them very well, with the combination of the sun and the pool water anything you do will fade and will most likely flake eventually. They do have paints for plastics, but they are not designed for that type of usage. I would suggest in that case you may be able to go to the supplier you purchased the pool from and see if you could purchase different colored rails, as they do make them in other colors, but the cost you may incur doing so may still not be enough, as someone has already stated, they still may not be happy with how it looks once you paint it! If you could, I would go the deck route and I would also be fighting them as well.

Something like this would make it virtuously disappear...but can be costly. However, it does add a lot of value and enjoyment to your home and to your backyard.
http://www.h2oworks.biz/photos/above_gr ... 845_w_deck

But also something even as simple as this may be enough to appease them.
http://indoor-swimming-pools.com/2012/0 ... ound-pool/

MNPoolDreamer:

There are several great suggestions in this thread. I would present these to the HOA board (with a witness present, if possible). If the board will not approve any of these suggestions, I would take 'em to court. Though it may take some extra effort, I'm sure you could find an attorney who will work with you. Show the judge all of the suggestions you presented along with the pictures of other violations in the neighborhood. You hate to pit neighbor against neighbor, but this is what HOA's often result in. Anyway, this approach would show that you have made a good faith effort to work with the HOA board and that they are being unreasonable. I would also research state/local regulations governing HOA's. You may be able to get the whole thing dismissed on procedural grounds. It would pay to do your homework.

Regardless of how this winds up, at the end of the day you would show the HOA board that you will not be intimidated by them. Yes, you may not make any friends on the HOA board, but they will secretly respect you more and will likely move on to easier prey in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.