Repairing a vacuum hose

The cuffs on both ends of my vacuum hose have split so I bought two new cuffs. One is a swivel cuff the other isn't. The problem is attaching them to the hose. I live in an area where all 6 of the pool supply stores are clueless. One told me to use a certain type of silicone glue which promptly dissolved the first time I tried to vacuum with it. Another recommended a different silicone glue which didn't adhere. What type of glue do I have to use?
The cuff that isn't swivel seems straight forward to attach-you just put the glue along the threads and then screw them together. On the swivel cuff I assume you can only put the glue at the groove right at the bas of the cuff. Is this right?

dollard said:
PVC cement definitely doen't work.

No, it won't.

Cut the end off the hose to get to good material. Liberally coat the cuff threads with silicone caulk (not glue) and screw the cuff onto the hose. Allow to dry thoroughly before using (Aquarium silicone works good, as well as clear silicone bathtub caulk...apply heavily)

I use mine once a week (I have no cleaner) and I have repaired several with no glue whatsoever. Just screw her on tight and put it to work. Never had one come loose. I never bother with swivel cuffs either. We did fine without them before they were invented and no swiveling goes on once the pump is running--so what's the point? As far as I can see, all they do is leak suction (let a swivel cuff break the surface when you do the steps and this is obvious).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hubby just used duct tape and a clamp on the split in our manual vacuum hose and it has done fine for 2 seasons that way. I hate to think of replacing those hose as a friend of ours bought a new hose at the beginning of the season and it is already leaking. Either they got a bad one or they don't make them like they used to.

One thing I have learned in my 50 years of maintaining pools is to store modern plastic hoses indoors in the winter and out of the sun in the summer. These plastics seem to suffer with freeze/thaw cycles and UV exposure. They probably should have made them black like electrical cable insulation.

The old rubber ones were more durable. So were the canvas ones that needed copper ball floats--who remembers those?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.