Bleach disppears over night

Aug 5, 2012
TA,PH, CYA, all Great readings
Bleach finally gave me a great reading after adding and before fully circulating... this morning, down to o.5

WTF

broke down went to local LPS and the word came up PHOSPHATES!

it'd not green just a very hazy blue can't see bottom at all

Help

Using up chlorine overnight indicates you still haven't gotten rid of the algae. You should never let the pool go long enough between tests that the chlorine drops near 0. That may mean hourly testing until it holds that long, then every 4 hours or so, extending it as the hold time increases. Persistence is the key.

Don't worry about your phosphates.

JohnT said:
Using up chlorine overnight indicates you still haven't gotten rid of the algae. You should never let the pool go long enough between tests that the chlorine drops near 0. That may mean hourly testing until it holds that long, then every 4 hours or so, extending it as the hold time increases. Persistence is the key.

Don't worry about your phosphates.

I Have never had a Bleach level above 0 to .0since opening the pool.... Trying to get to get to raise. I added 10 gallons of Bleach over a 3 hour period when it was down, I had a good FC reading on the kit... This morning .05... sucks

What Am I missing... Ever since I open the pool I have never been able to get the bleach lever up at all... adding bleach 3 gallons a night etc... never did it raise... running filter 24 hours an hour.... no back watch need in days no floaties nothing... it's blues just can't see the bottom

It was clear before we received a lot of rain on the east coast then it went blue with no bottom

J2 has a point. A full set of test results would be good especially cya and how you got them.

You should add enough bleach to get to shock level for your cya and then test it again in about an hour to see if you got there. If you didn't, add again and test in an hour.

How are you testing? If those are pool store numbers, they are often wrong for cya.

With that said, if your cya is truly 100 ppm, that usually means it is actually higher, so a drain refill is likely in your near future...buy you should not trust pool store numbers (or test strips) to know.

If you trust those numbers (and I wouldn't trust those strips), then a partial drain/refill to lower your cya concentration is your first step to take. How have you been chlorinating? Trichlor pucks and dichlor granules add cya.

What type of pool do you have?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BLEACH, 12 MULE, BAKING SODA...THAT'S IT EXCEPT FOR LIQUID STABILIZER FROM FROM LFS

CAN YOU RECOMMEND A CYA PRODUCT THAT DOESN'T GOUGE MY EYES OUT LIKE THE LFS

ROUND 27 FT 5" HIGH... AROUND 19,000 GALLONS VINYL LINER

Your CYA is already high, you do not need any more.

I have to agree you would be best served ditching the strips and investing in one of the recommended test kits.

Then knowing the true CYA level, replace water to get in the recommended range ... near 40ppm.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

see link in my signature to a comparison in Pool School.

The TF100 offers a better valve due to the number of tests you can do with the amount of reagents.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.