Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Zodiac LM3-24
Here was the plan.......

pool002.jpg

Here is the reality......

pool_may06_011.jpg

Two rocks actually ...... about $3000 worth ......assuming you value rock by the rule of how much it costs you to buy, or remove .... maybe i should save any large pieces for framing the pool ?????

pool_may06_020.jpg

I live near several limestone quarries, so you can imagine what the ground is like in this area. My sister lives about a mile from me and got a quote for their pool to be built a couple of summers ago. The company did stick with their original price quote, although it turned out that my her backyard had a HUGE slab of limestone just below the surface. Imagine a jackhammer running in your backyard for 11 days, 10 hours per day... :-O It was one of those that mount on a backhoe, so it was not a toy. The PB said that it was the hardest dig that they have ever had. :)

That's one fine looking rock that you found. Have you figured out the cost per ton? ;)

That was us too, we wanted to put our Doughboy 3 ft into the ground, a foot or so down we hit indian artifacts, arrowheads, a mortar and pestle, knives used to tan hides, ect. at 2 1/2 ft down we hit a shelf of rock so big it went under our patio and house. We didn't want to jackhammer for 6" so they filled it back up to 2 ft and we have a tiered deck now.

I did have them leave a couple of the bigger rocks they dug out, they're a great accent.

Our ground is also very rocky, but not nice boulders like you seem to have... we have about 1/2" of red clay over sheets of shale. :roll: Not very usable for our purposes...

to plant a flower requires a pick-ax!

I would also keep them for use as waterfall base or just as a neat accent somewhere in the yard.

I think that they are going to have to bring in a bigger digger just to drag them out of the ground in one piece. Or if you get a hoe ram and bust them up you could just get rid of them. Either way it is probably now time and material and I am sure it won't be cheap.

sevver said:
I think that they are going to have to bring in a bigger digger just to drag them out of the ground in one piece. Or if you get a hoe ram and bust them up you could just get rid of them. Either way it is probably now time and material and I am sure it won't be cheap.

I think they will be broken up ..... hopefully a few pieces bigger than a 3-5 sq feet will survive.

The big machine coming in is a 12 foot wide, 30 ton unit ..... $2800 for the first 4 hours .... they don't expect it to go beyond the 4 hours.

KC

sredish said:
keep it and design your waterfall over it... like a nice sheet of water flowing over for a nice waterfall feature. it's too nice not to do something with... but it is big!

I'm afraid a waterfall is not in our budget .... although after seeing many of the exceptional pools member's have shown here, it certainty is tempting. I don't even expect to take the interloc up to the pool edge. The pool will have the standard 2.5" cement surround framing the entire pool with the interloc tying the pool to the deck. I was going to talk to the cement guy to see what a stamped concrete surround and patio would run me though ($$$).

Ok, so having said a waterfall is out, where would you all put it (position 1thru8) ????? Feel free to download the JPG and rough sketch your idea's .... and repost ...... who got me started on this !!!!

pool_plan2.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In our quote for our pool they offered a diving board or a diving rock. He said a lot of people where starting to
go for the rock look. When I drive by the builders yard you see the big pile of rocks they use.

The Mermaid Queen said:
4 or 5 would be my preference

Yes, still have visibility from the deck .... and room for laps without interfering. I think I'll start a thread as ask for pictures!

KC

sredish said:
probably 4, nestled in that curve there would look very nice.

Yes that location looks good. Talked to the installer yesterday ..... he will run the water up to that edge and cap it. I was talking to the team that does stamped concrete today .... i could have them do an couple of cement sonotubes in that area to carry any extra weight ..... this will leave me with the most options later if i do one.

I just realized today that if i do a waterfall it will impact my winter cover .... which in itself is a several thousand dollar investment. So that means if i do a waterfall it will be a low profile, something the kids can walk over if they choose, and maybe even removable for the winter.

kc said:
....... I was talking to the team that does stamped concrete today .... i could have them do an couple of cement sonotubes in that area to carry any extra weight ..... ....

If we go with stamped it will be this pattern ,,,, right up to pool edge.

KC

concrete_pattern.jpg

This is the colour of the concrete ..... but under the flash and halogen lighting this colour is off ..... its really a taupe which matches the house color .... as opposed to the deck color which is a blue-gray.

concretecolour_tint.jpg

if you have plans for any rock work there, make sure that you reinforce the concrete decking in that area to support the weight. typical concrete decking is a little thin weak to handle a fancy rock waterfall and you don't want any problems.

Todays progress ....

Todays progress .... wee rocks are gone ..... the resulting cavity now needs filling!

KC

pool_13may08003.jpg

Just about finished building up the wall on Thursday ..... where my $4000 rocks were.

pool_15may08005.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.