Solar blanket vs. solar panel

Mar 21, 2012
NC
My main issue is prolonging my swimming season as long as I can. I was going to buy a solar cover and build a reel and all that, but then thought a solar panel would be just as cheap. Is there an advantage to one over the other in terms of heating? Pump run time is a non issue. Thanks.

Jonathan

The blanket will keep the heat in overnight. The panels will heat it up during the day. I think even with panels you would want a cover so as not to have to start over again the next morning.

UGGGHHH. Terrible answer. Nah just kidding :-D Makes sense, I was hoping to get by though. The pool is 33' with a slide and I was hoping to avoid covers, except a winter one. Is one just as effective as the other in raising temps? In terms of per day.

The blanket does not really raise the temperature much in the day ... better at holding temp at night.

The panels well do s much better job raising the temperature during the day.

Ideally you want both as previously stated.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

If you could only pick one, what would it be? Pool gets full sun all day, 8am-7pm this time of year. And gets used a lot, so taking the cover on and off everyday would suck. I need to do some thing though. Our night are in the low 70's now : (

There is no point using panels without a cover at the end of the season. You really need both. The panel adds heat and the cover keeps you from losing it at night. During the middle of the season, either one can help.

I use both. Overnight my pool can go from 90 degrees down to the 70s depending on ambient temperature and wind and such. The solar panels bring the temp back up but often it takes until evening to do it and that's great but what if they want to swim before lunch? Depending on the weather I don't always have to put the solar cover on and when nobody is going to be home I don't always have to take it off so it's not a huge hassle but only a small one. I agree with the other posters that a solar heater and solar cover compliment each other and to really be in control of your temperature you will need both.

I use these and haven't had a single problem. I don't know if they are the "best" but I am having good luck with them. http://www.amazon.com/20-Foot-Solar-Hea ... roduct_top
Along with the solar heaters I just use a regular blue solar cover. I think it's 12 mil and it's pretty tough. I've read on these forums that the solar cover takes a beating from uv rays and will last somewhere around three years so I just purchased the most affordable one in the size I needed. There is a LOT of debate about the best color and style of solar cover but at the end of the day it really just needs to prevent evaporation because compared to evaporation, all other losses are small. http://www.avonsci.co.uk/main.asp?sitep ... tgain/loss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also use both. We often get 60 degree nights. You can go cheap on both this year. No need for 16 mil, my 12 mil seems like it's too thick. Search around on here, someone made a cool PVC cover holder. I have a reel on an oval pool but the PVC thing would work better for round IMO. As for solar heater, I see someone made one out of a black wooden box and coiled black garden hose. Tee off your return and send some water through the hose.

There have been a large number of negative reviews (and only a very occasional positive review) of the rings.

Solar covers only tend to last a year or two, no matter what the warranty says, so I just get the least expensive kind.

I use three 4' x 20' fafco panels on the roof to heat a 15' x 30' x 54" AGP.
I also use a cheap solar cover.

Figuring DIY hard plumbing and the extra (albeit small) additional cost of pumping the water for a season, I am into the solar hating for about $1200. For two panels that number may turn into $800.

Two panels is about my cut off for heat lost overnight (without a cover) vs. heat gained during the day.
Plus as previously mentioned, the recovered heat is not realized till later in the day.
Plus, plus, I won't go into how on some days, there are things like clouds and stuff in the sky.

The cover cost about $120.

Fairly simple math to see that the cover is the best investment.
Getting the cover to be a hassle free experience is the key to using it every night.
I'd say spend your research time and energy there.

But I highly recommend solar for phase two.

I also use both a cover and 2 panels. Extend the season by amount 1.5-2months in total vs neighbors.

Important to note, as you know a 33ft pool is quite large. On the cover, you'll want to go the 8mil route to save on weight. As far as panels are concerned, any number will help, but realistically you will need 4-5+ 4x20ft panels to properly heat almost 30K gals of water. I use Fafco Solar Bear Panels and after 3 years have been extremly happy with their performance. One tip is to scour craigslist...it's not uncommon to find a panel here or there for half price.

27 FT. round and we use 4 - 2x20's and 12 mil solar cover. You'll want to use both because like everyone said, you lose anything you gain during the day at night and then some. We have considered increasing our panels to 6 for next season. I'm getting old and really prefer 86 - 90 degree water temps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.