Recently Re-Plastered; pits, cracks, and lines already?

Aug 4, 2012
We have owned a pool for two months - it was re-plastered just before we took ownership. Today, I noticed a few cracks around the "bench" in our built-in hot tub. I was losing daylight as I investigated and, upon turning on the main pool lights, I saw mild pitting and plenty of lines/slightly uneven marks along the bottom of the pool. I posted a photo although I'm not sure how visible it all is in there.

On a scale of 1-10, is this fairly typical, a matter of concern, or a major problem?

IMG_2890 by DC Orbiters, on Flickr

I think you should call and notify the plastering contractor on this job. The cracking I see is not good, and the plaster lines indicate poor troweling technique.

Wow that is checking, and _WILL_ de-laminate, its just a matter of time. I really dont mean to offend, but that is an awful plaster job. Just look at the corner in your 1st picture. Its just slapped on there.

I did send photos to the prime contractor - he said the cracks are common at this stage of curing and should disappear - and imperfections in the plaster are normal. The work was subcontracted out to a company that, I'm told, does most of the re-plastering work around here. With the lights out, it definitely looks more than a little imperfect - it just doesn't look like something that is supposed to last over a decade.

Lershac is right about the possibility of delamination, but it is hard to know for sure. But that cracking is far beyond normal and will not disappear. Your PB is wrong in what he told you.
Yes, some minor plaster imperfections are normal and unavoidable, but in this case, it appears from the pictures that they are far worse than normal, and simply indicate poor workmanship quality. Looks like a "rush" job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.