water cloudy, high TA

keithk

Jul 11, 2010
My water is cloudy, TA is around 200, just added dichlor so my FC is high, around 6-7, pH isn't horrible, around 7.8-7.9, CYA, it's hard to tell, maybe 20, thus why I added the dichlor. For some reason the pool calculator isn't working, so I don't know how much backing soda I need to add to lower the TA.

TIA

Baking soda raises TA, it doesn't lower it. Lowering TA is a little more involved, but I wouldn't worry about your TA anyway? Get your pH down, and the TA will come down a little too.

Dichlor can cause water clouding as well. Was it cloudy before you added it? If so, you are probably dealing with the beginning of algae, and you should consider performing the shock process.

Yeah, I was wrong with the soda. I've been told since I don't have a huge pool to not really worry about the TA. Wouldn't adding the dichlor shock it? I added about 10oz. And yes, the water was cloudy before.

keithk said:
Yeah, I was wrong with the soda. I've been told since I don't have a huge pool to not really worry about the TA. Wouldn't adding the dichlor shock it? I added about 10oz. And yes, the water was cloudy before.
No.

10 oz dichlor will only put FC up to about 8 in a pool your size. Shock level for 20 CYA is 10. And it's not a one-time thing like receiving an electric shock, it's a process. Back to Pool School!

What would happen if I get the shock level too high?

Richard320 said:
keithk said:
No.

10 oz dichlor will only put FC up to about 8 in a pool your size. Shock level for 20 CYA is 10. And it's not a one-time thing like receiving an electric shock, it's a process. Back to Pool School!

Off you go way over shock level you can start fading the liner. But that would be at least double the shock value for prolonged periods.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.