New Pool Quote Dallas Ft.Worth

Jul 21, 2012
This is my first post and would like to get some feedback on this pool quote. Equipment? Prices? Recommendations?
Thanks.

POOL 42'X18' $39,403.00

PERIMETER 115'
POOL AREA 728 SQ.FT. SURFACE AREA
EXCAVATION TYPE TRACKHOE
DEPTH 3.5'X8'
GALLONS 31,400
BEAM 1/2" 4 BARS 12"X12"-16" CONTINIOUS BEAM
SKIMMERS 2-TOTAL
DRAINS 4-TOTAL ANTI-VORTEX VGB APPROVED SAFETY DRAINS
PLUMBING RUN 40' WITH 2.5" SUCTION LINES AND INDIVIDUAL VALVES
OVERFLOW OVERFLOW TO YARD
RETURNS 6 RETURNS
GUNITE PROCESS 6"-8" 6 SACK MIX 100% NATURAL SAND
6"X6" WATERLINE TILE CHOICE OF STOCK TILE
STEPS & BENCHES 36' BENCHES $1,260.00
TANNING LEDGE 8'X18' $500.00
PLASTER WETEDGE SATIN PEBBLE $3,910.00

COPING LEUDERS RECTANGLES
CONTROLS JANDY PDA-4 REMOTE CONTROL $850.00
PUMP 2HP JANDY E-PUMP VARIABLE SPEED $475.00

FILTER JANDY VERSAFLOW 580
LIGHTS 1-JANDY WATERCOLOR LED $450.00
CLEANING SYSTEM POLARIS 280 BLACK
CHLORINATOR ZODIAC IN-GROUND FUSION CHLORINATOR
START-UP INSTRUCTION AND CHEMICAL BALANCE
START-UP KIT BRUSH, POLE, SKIMMER, TEST-KIT, & INITIAL CHEMICAL

DECKS $4,162.50

DECKING TYPE 600 SQ. FT. STANDARD SALT FINISH OR AGGREGATE
DRAINS 2-DRAIN CONNECTIONS
DRAIN LINES UP TO 75'

FEATURES $4,050.00[/b]

COLUMNS 5-24"X18" ROCK COLUMNS WITH DRAIN & DRIP IRRIGATION [b]$2,250.00

PLANTER BOWLS 3-33" CONCRETE WOK PLANTER BOWLS [b]$900.0[/b]0
FOUNTAINS 3-12" SCUPPER FOUNTAINS $900.00

CLEAN-UP $2,300.00

CLEAN UP REMOVE TRASH DEBRIS AND GRADE AROUND POOL & ACCESS
IRRIGATION REPAIR CAP & RE-ROUTE EXISTING $1,250.00
FENCE REPAIR PUT BACK ACCESS FENCE $150.00
SOD 2-PALLOTS BERMUDA SOD $900.00

ROCK CLAUSE $600 HAMMER HOOK-UP $250 PER HR. $2000 MAX. (NOT INCLUDED)

SUB-TOTAL GOOD FOR 90 DAYS $49,915.50
WINTER DISCOUNT $2,495.78
TOTAL AFTER DISCOUNT $47,419.73

REMAINING BALANCE $47,419.73

PAYMENT SCHEDULE
1ST DRAW 30% AT EXCAVATION $14,225.92
2ND DRAW 35% AT GUNITE $16,596.90
3RD DRAW 30% AT DECK SET $14,225.92
FINAL DRAW 5% AT WHEN POOL IS FULL $2,370.99

Dallas-Dolphins

Welcome to TFP :wave:

That estimate seems in line based on similar estimates we got when we looked at putting in a pool at our former house a couple of years ago. Decided instead to move to a new house on a quieter street that already had a pool.

I'm assuming the items that have $ figures next to them are optional features. Of these, here's my $0.02:
  • 1. Controls Jandy PDA-4 Remote Control $850.00 - I see this as an expensive novelty that will quickly become shelf-ware. Most pumps have timers where you can manually set the run time. In my case, I change the run time maybe a few times per year, plus the freeze guard will automatically turn the pump on when temps get within a degree or two of freezing. So I really don't see where I would use this enough to justify the cost.
  • 2. Lights 1-jandy watercolor LED $450.00. If you are getting an LED for the changing watercolor effects, then go for it. On the other hand, if you are getting it primarily for energy savings, fugheddaboutit :p . Unless you have the lights on daily for several hours, I doubt you would see the payback from the more energy efficient LED vs. lower cost halogen lights. Love LED's for in-house use where they are used frequently and have come down in price. However, for pool applications they are still pricey.

It's hard to compare prices from different areas. Down here, close to the coast, there are no natural rocks so the excavation is done with an inexpensive skid loader. We don't know how far your crew has to take the excavated material.

The things I notice in your bid are:
*No spa - no heater. Just this option adds several thousands to a pool bid- see mine below
*Decking - $7 a sq/ft in my area buys the upgrade decking. Aggregate is closer to $5 a foot.
*All the bids we got had "clean up included (hidden) in the price. I hadn't seen it separated out like that. Sod really that expensive?
*No way is one LED going to light a 42' long pool. One half will be very dark.

For cost comparisons. I'm going the owner-builder route. I'm going to build a smaller pool but with a raised spa w/wide overflow, tanning ledge, two shallow ends with steps and two benches along one side. I also have and extra 75 cubic yards of dirt to be disposed of. Excavation, steel, plumbing stub out and gunite is going to be $11,000. My decking choice (1200 sq/ft of pavers +base material) cost ~ $5000. My tile and coping was $3000 for materials. I did purchase $13,000 in equipment, plumbing white goods, robotic pool cleaner and automated controls. (see my sig). I will be doing some of the work myself.

My point is, from my perspective, the quote seems very high. You might have extenuating circumstances though. When you hire a pool builder you are hiring a coordinator and problem solver. Some have large showrooms with lots of overhead.

When I was taking quotes this spring, they were very similar. All in the 37k-39k area. I'm not saving a lot of money going owner/builder but I am getting better equipment, 4x the decking and more control of the material choices.

Good luck and get more bids.

Seems high to me.. but I interviewed several PB, and they were all over the place. I didn't go with the cheapest PB, I went with one I liked and seemed to listen to everything I wanted. For example, I wanted Oklahoma Flagstone, that had dark browns in in since I was using moss rock on the Spa, Grotto and rock wall. Most of them said I would get the luck of the draw... Well, I got exactly what I wanted.

I did my own sod and fence.

I don't know where you are exactly, but asking price for a pallet of good Bermuda sod was $125. I bought 5 pallets and paid $115 pp, and $50 to have it delivered. It cost me $120 to have it installed.

I'd look around some.. You came to the right place tho - these folks in here are VERY helpful! (I'm a newbie too.) Good luck!!!!

Thanks for the comments. I am going to get another LED. I agree the price for SOD is very expensive. Anyone else think the remote is just a novelty? Starting to consider using that money elsewhere. Anyone have recommendations on pool builders in the Grapevine, Southlake, Colleyville area of TX?

Well as far as the remote goes.. I bought the Easytouch8 unit, with the indoor wall mounted control. It comes with a spa side control. That's really enough for us.. That gives us 3 places to turn on "stuff." I think you have a choice with the indoor control as far as wall mounted or coffee table. I already have enough trouble hunting for the remote to the TV.. that's enough!

I check with some friends and builders in your area... in the next few days to get some referrals for you. I know there are hundreds of PB, and most are probably very good. I know you'll pick a great one!! You'll be :swim: in no time!

Dallas-Dolphins said:
Thanks for the comments. I am going to get another LED. I agree the price for SOD is very expensive. Anyone else think the remote is just a novelty? Starting to consider using that money elsewhere. Anyone have recommendations on pool builders in the Grapevine, Southlake, Colleyville area of TX?
Well I don't see a spa or SWG mentioned so maybe you wouldn't have a real practical need for the remote. We use our PDA quite a bit to turn the pool and spa lights on, set the system to Spa mode, turn on the heater and adjust the temperature then turn the blower on/off from the comfort of the spa. We can also monitor the spa water temperature remotely with the PDA (plus salt level, eqpt status, etc.). I also use it to adjust the SWG output, adjust the filter pump run times, etc. For those purposes it is well worth the cost for the convenience of not having to walk over to the wall mounted control box to perform all those functions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.