confused on the shocking process.

Jul 14, 2012
Cleveland, OH
so you know my backround. we have had the pool for 4 years(came with the house when we bought it) w/ the first 2 years using bromine and then switching to chlorine late the 3rd year since we replaced our liner. we are now in the 4th year and it seems like i can't keep up so i found this site did some reading and i am still confused on some stuff. particularly the shocking process.

i should also note that i use name brand chemicals. plan on doing the BBB thing next year.

so i recently got my tf-100 test kit and these are the results on day 1
TC= 4.5
FC= 3.5
CC= 1.0
pH= 7.2
TA= 100
CYA= 40 (closer to 35 kinda hard to tell)

i added 59oz of 68% cal-hypo to bring my CC's down and the next day i got these results.
TC= 13.5
FC= 13.5
CC= 0
pH= 7.2
TA= 100
CYA= 40

seems like i am doing it right but my pool is still cloudy so i did an OCLT. i tested it twice before sundown and got 14.5 FC both times so i shut off my chlorinator and checked it the following morning at 6 AM and still got 14.5 FC.

i guess my question is do i add more shock? it seems like i don't want to raise the chlorine becuase all the levels are ok but i still have a cloudy pool.

Cal Hypo adds Calcium to your pool. And I couldn't help but notice you haven't listed CH readings.

Low CH is no problem in a vinyl pool. High CH can be. Besides scaling, cal hypo can cause cloudiness for a little while after adding. It may also look cloudy if your filtration isn't up to snuff. Is it a sand filter, by chance? Do you have a floor drain? Do you have the returns aimed down so you get some circulation in the deep end?

You've passed two of the three tests for stopping the shock; your water's not clear. So keep the FC level up. I'd recommend Chlorox- it's a brand name chemical!

After it's clear, you need to raise the CYA level. Your SWG can't keep up with the solar degradation, so a whole lot of your FC is gone before it can kill any algae.

ping said:
Can you post your results for CH? Was the pool cloudy before you added the cal-hypo and if it was did it get more cloudy after the cal-hypo was added?
i didn't test for it because i read that with vinyl lined pools it is a non factor?

the pool was cloudy before i put the cal-hypo in but it got a little better.

oh you know i added ph+ about 3 hours before i started the OCLT, maybe that could have something to do with it. someone said i should raise it. it went from 7.2 to 7.5. sorry for leaving that out.

Richard320 said:
Cal Hypo adds Calcium to your pool. And I couldn't help but notice you haven't listed CH readings.

Low CH is no problem in a vinyl pool. High CH can be. Besides scaling, cal hypo can cause cloudiness for a little while after adding. It may also look cloudy if your filtration isn't up to snuff. Is it a sand filter, by chance? Do you have a floor drain? Do you have the returns aimed down so you get some circulation in the deep end?

You've passed two of the three tests for stopping the shock; your water's not clear. So keep the FC level up. I'd recommend Chlorox- it's a brand name chemical!

After it's clear, you need to raise the CYA level. Your SWG can't keep up with the solar degradation, so a whole lot of your FC is gone before it can kill any algae.

did not know this. i will test for it. i do have a floor drain and 2 returns. one in the deep going straight out and same in the shallow. sorry for being such a newbie.

also it is a sand filter. when i go check my CH i will get all my pool equipment info on here in the sig.

Richard320 said:
aviolentworld said:
checked my CH and it was 210. seems normal.

also richard i have a sand filter. can i add DE to it? i thought those were two different filtering methods. thanks again for helping me out.
read the link
i just re-read the link. i must of been thinking of something else while reading...haha, to much info in a such a short time. i will give this a try. thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.