New leak at filter multi-valve

LauleaHere&There

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2010
Rural Moloka'i, Hawai'i
Could you guys help me diagnose? I just replumbed my system to include a solar heater, and took the opportunity to look inside my zeosand filter, rinse, etc. Now it's leaking from under the top where the valve handle is. Does this sound familiar to anybody? What should I look for?

Did you open up the valve while you were cleaning everything?

I think the water can only get up where you are pointing to if there is something wrong with the spider gasket inside ... although then I would expect you to see water out the waste as well.

Thanks for answering, Jason. I only took the valve assembly off the tank, I didn't take it apart. And I am not getting leakage from the waste port. The big O-ring at the base of the valve assembly is in good shape. I lubed it good when I put the whole thing together a couple of years ago, and lubed it again before I reassembled the filter. I did notice a couple of things--when I turned on the pump, the valve assembly hissed a little; the inside column of pipe that covers the center pipe that leads to the laterals has rough edges; and the water that came out of the filter when I turned the pump on was cloudy. Does that help? Thanks!

Renee

Well before you consider replacing it, I would certainly just open it up and see if something is obviously wrong inside. If it is like mine for the DE filter, there should just be about 8 bolts to remove to open up the top and try to see where the water is coming from.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

hmm. Well that kind of stumps me since if have not worked with the top mounted valves.

Hopefully someone else may have some thoughts.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
if it leaking from the arrow then it's SPX0714L COVER O-RING
keep in mind you need to tighten these lids like a car tire. a little on each bolt on opposite sides until tight.
if it's leaking directly from the handle then its O-RING SHAFT SEAL ASSY SP0714T,SPX0735GA O-Ring & Backup Ring

this is all assuming it's truly comparable with the spx0714

Kevin, thanks! I tried mounting the assembly again, being careful to tighten as you described. Wow! no leak at the arrow, but a teeny one at the collar. Still tentative about opening up the top, as that white "pin" seems to be pretty permanently installed. I don't want to pry it off with brute force and bust it up.

I'm going to let the pump run for a few hours, and tomorrow I'll disconnect and try again with the valve assembly. Thanks so much for your help.

Thanks for this post and thread. My Waterway multiport was leaking out the backwash port when I filled and opened this summer. So I took it apart expecting to see a problem with the spider gasket. The gasket was fine but the diverter valve was sticking in up position and just letting water blow by. I lubricated the o-rings and moving parts and put it back together and am happy that it is now working fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.