Partial drain and refill

Mar 12, 2011
This is my first post but this forum has helped me tremendously already. I have been fighting a green pool the past 2 weeks trying to get it back right. I am almost there but i have a couple of questions. My salt cell went bad and was showing 1600ppm so i added the salt to bring it back up. I had vacuumed to waste so i figured it was low. Well after 24 hours it was showing 1500ppm after the salt was added. :x so i ordered a new cell and some salt strips and sure enough my salt level is 5000ppm. My question is the pool is still cloudy (i can see the bottom of shallow end) should I wait until it is clear or go ahead and start draining? My CH is very high at 470, would this cause the cloudy water? Here are my numbers (taken with tf100)

FC - 25
CC - .5
TA - 80
PH - 7.2
CH - 470
CY - 70

We have a party on Aug. 11 so I need to get it ready by then. Thanks a lot in advance for your help

How'd you get those readings?

If you have a FAS-DPD chlorine test (The powder) then I would recommend shutting off the SWG tonight and performing an OCLT. Then you'll know if it's clouding due to algae or just not filtering well.

I don't have a SWG myself, so I don't know if super high salt is a problem or not.
Calcium will not cause that cloudiness. I'm well above that and my pool is clear

I used the tf100 test kit it is fas/dpd. The SWG is turned off it will not generate over 3600ppm, so i am going to have to partially drain regardless of CH. I have been adding a lot of bleach to keep the FC up to kill the algae.

Well then you might as well drain now and get the salt level down. That will also make a lower FC possible for the shock process. No point spending money on bleach only to pump it all out in a day. Once salt level is down and it's refilled, start the shock process, and as soon as you pass the 3 tests, raisethe CYA and fire off the SWG.

I see no problem having it ready in a week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.