Help a newbie with first BBB season!!!

tjrn89

Nov 19, 2007
TN
Ok end of last season converted from Baquacil to what will be the BBB method when I follow through. All I did last season was to pour bleach and more bleach in the pool. It cleared it up a clear blue for which I was grateful. Didn't close and it stayed pretty much that way all winter. Ran the pump on low continuously. I realize from reading here that I didn't have to run the pump that much but did and will take care of that next time. Got green last week when temp warmed up. Poured more bleach and it's blue but there is a fine gray substance on the bottom. Never has had anything poured in it but unscented store brand bleach. No CYA, borax, etc. Sand has not been changed since conversion. I know that has to be changed. Do I vacuum up the stuff on the bottom then change or change first? Most posts talk about raising the FC to shock level. WHAT is shock level? CYA when? How much? pH first or after chlorine process? Own a good test kit. The only thing about it that confuses me is when I add the drops when do I assess what color I have because if you let it sit there it will turn several shades of more than 1 color. I am reasonably intelligent and can do this. I plan to conquer this pool maintenance this summer because it has been a source of $$$ and frustration for the past 2 summers. This is a great source for pool owners. I've read several posts but at the moment I know I have to do stuff just need some specific directions please. THANKS!! :oops:

newbie to BBB

Shock level depends on your CYA level and can be looked up on my Pool Calculator. If you have never used any CYA ever then shock level is around 2 or 3.

I would vacuum and then change the sand, but it doesn't really matter.

You are normally adding drops while mixing and should continue swirling the vial to keep things mixed. Once the drop mixes in, the color should be stable for at least 30 seconds, and probably quite a bit more. How long it takes for the drop to mix in varies from test to test. The chlorine test is almost instant, TA take several seconds, CH is the most variable and can take from several seconds to 30 seconds to stabilize after a drop is added.

Go ahead and add some CYA to bring it up to about 30.

If you post a full set of numbers we can give you some more specific advice.

tjrn89 said:
Ok end of last season converted from Baquacil to what will be the BBB method when I follow through. All I did last season was to pour bleach and more bleach in the pool. It cleared it up a clear blue for which I was grateful.

Didn't close and it stayed pretty much that way all winter. Ran the pump on low continuously. I realize from reading here that I didn't have to run the pump that much but did and will take care of that next time. Got green last week when temp warmed up. Poured more bleach and it's blue but there is a fine gray substance on the bottom. Never has had anything poured in it but unscented store brand bleach. No CYA, borax, etc.

Sand has not been changed since conversion. I know that has to be changed. Do I vacuum up the stuff on the bottom then change or change first?

Most posts talk about raising the FC to shock level. WHAT is shock level? CYA when? How much? pH first or after chlorine process?

I own a good test kit. The only thing about it that confuses me is when I add the drops when do I assess what color I have because if you let it sit there it will turn several shades of more than 1 color. I am reasonably intelligent and can do this. I plan to conquer this pool maintenance this summer because it has been a source of $$$ and frustration for the past 2 summers. This is a great source for pool owners. I've read several posts but at the moment I know I have to do stuff just need some specific directions please. THANKS!! :oops:

newbie to BBB

It's much easier to read posts that have some paragraph formation, when people see a big block of text, or even all caps (you didn't do this), it drives some people crazy. just nit picking.

listen to Mr. Lion, he'll set you straight on the BBB basics and have you enjoying a low maintenance pool in no time :D.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.