Need tip on reading test kits

Feb 17, 2008
Yesterday I found a post that someone referred to picture tips on a Taylor test kit that was help for someone reading a TF-100 kit. Like an idiot I didn't bookmark it. Anyone know what I'm referring too?

Hope this in the right spot.

PH test in TF-100 open to interpretation.

lovingHDTV said:
Along these lines, for the Tayler PH test. How far behind the kit do you put the white clothe? I find that the color changes if it is directly pressed to the back of the color thingy vs. an inch away.

I've also noticed this. It seems the PH test in the TF-100 is open to a lot of interpretation due to the color chart. Is there another PH test that can give more accurate results? Perhaps one with a color-changing indicator like the DPD chlorine test?

If you have trouble reading the colors on the PH test you can get a ColorQ. It is a little expensive and suffers slightly more from high chlorine level interference, but does give a very accurate digital readout of FC, CC, and PH. It also does other tests but they are not as good as the titration tests in the TF-100.

The standard PH test is really the best choice for most people. With a little practice you can learn to read it very precisely.

Sorry for any pun, but this is not a "black and white" issue. It's what works best for you. I personally find it easiest to hold the comparator up to a blue sky with no white paper behind it....that doesn't make my method it right, it's just what I'm used to.

Find a method that your comfortable with and then use the same method each time for repeatable results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lovingHDTV said:
Ok, now I just need to get permission to cut a hole in the ceiling so I can see the blue sky from the kitchen. :wink:
I use a wonderful invention called a window! :wink:

BTW, trying to color match under incandescent or fluorescent lights is VERY difficult! You really should use daylight.

I, too, have a hard time matching colours on the comparison tubes. I think colour perception wanes with age somewhat.

While I cannot tell the difference on the TC bar for values 3 or 5 I can see that it's not 1. 2 is up for grabs most days. Since I do the titration twice a week it's good enough for me knowing that on the in-between days the TC is at least equal to or greater than 2.

pH is similar. I know that it's not 6.8, 7.2, 7.8, or 8.2. Therefore, it's between 7.3 and 7.7. Again, good enough.

Last season I stressed over not being able to do a better job reading those colour bars and yet the pool was clear and clean all season. IT doesn't know that my eyes don't work as well as they used to :)

AnnaK

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.