Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need tip on reading test kits

1. Back To Top    #1

Need tip on reading test kits

Yesterday I found a post that someone referred to picture tips on a Taylor test kit that was help for someone reading a TF-100 kit. Like an idiot I didn't bookmark it. Anyone know what I'm referring too?

Hope this in the right spot.
    12,200 gal.
    grey plaster
    IntelliChlor SWCG
    Starite System 3 DE filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Along these lines, for the Tayler PH test. How far behind the kit do you put the white clothe? I find that the color changes if it is directly pressed to the back of the color thingy vs. an inch away.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

3. Back To Top    #3

If you were referring to examples of appropriateness in color change, here's a link I remember. It is specific to calcium hardness:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=70

Here's one for CYA:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

Here's one for differentiating colors:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=35

Hope this helps.

Craig
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4
    Craig,

Thanks, that was it. I see the link now to more under the chemistry tab.
    12,200 gal.
    grey plaster
    IntelliChlor SWCG
    Starite System 3 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

PH test in TF-100 open to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    Along these lines, for the Tayler PH test. How far behind the kit do you put the white clothe? I find that the color changes if it is directly pressed to the back of the color thingy vs. an inch away.
    I've also noticed this. It seems the PH test in the TF-100 is open to a lot of interpretation due to the color chart. Is there another PH test that can give more accurate results? Perhaps one with a color-changing indicator like the DPD chlorine test?
    Good Times

6. Back To Top    #6
    If you have trouble reading the colors on the PH test you can get a ColorQ. It is a little expensive and suffers slightly more from high chlorine level interference, but does give a very accurate digital readout of FC, CC, and PH. It also does other tests but they are not as good as the titration tests in the TF-100.

The standard PH test is really the best choice for most people. With a little practice you can learn to read it very precisely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

So how far away from the vial do you place the white background? I find that the color tend to match best if I press the white cloth directly to the back of the vial.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry
    Sorry for any pun, but this is not a "black and white" issue. It's what works best for you. I personally find it easiest to hold the comparator up to a blue sky with no white paper behind it....that doesn't make my method it right, it's just what I'm used to.

Find a method that your comfortable with and then use the same method each time for repeatable results.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9
    I do the same thing as Duraleigh.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, now I just need to get permission to cut a hole in the ceiling so I can see the blue sky from the kitchen.

11. Back To Top    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    Ok, now I just need to get permission to cut a hole in the ceiling so I can see the blue sky from the kitchen.
    I use a wonderful invention called a window!

BTW, trying to color match under incandescent or fluorescent lights is VERY difficult! You really should use daylight.

12. Back To Top    #12
    I, too, have a hard time matching colours on the comparison tubes. I think colour perception wanes with age somewhat.

While I cannot tell the difference on the TC bar for values 3 or 5 I can see that it's not 1. 2 is up for grabs most days. Since I do the titration twice a week it's good enough for me knowing that on the in-between days the TC is at least equal to or greater than 2.

pH is similar. I know that it's not 6.8, 7.2, 7.8, or 8.2. Therefore, it's between 7.3 and 7.7. Again, good enough.

Last season I stressed over not being able to do a better job reading those colour bars and yet the pool was clear and clean all season. IT doesn't know that my eyes don't work as well as they used to

AnnaK
    — AnnaK —

12,000 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.