why is a booster pump needed for pressure cleaning?

I've got a 3Hp intelliflo variable speed pump and I want to install a dedicated pressure side cleaner. My plan was to shut off the returns and direct all pressure to that line. But I'm told that with certain polaris cleaners a booster pump is needed. Why can't a 3HP variable speed pump create enough pressure by itself?

Most pressure cleaners will only work properly with a booster due to the fact that booster pumps work differently than a standard circulation pump. Boosters produce high pressure with low flow, circulation pumps are low pressure, high flow. You can use a Polaris 360 or a Letro Legend 2 with a standard pump and both of those are pressure cleaners.

In order for the Intelliflo to operate a pressure side cleaner it would have to run way outside it's curve and that's very bad for the pump.

Pressure cleaners require high pressure (head) and low flow. Most pool pumps are either low or medium head, high flow pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.