Replace original Intex pump

imcj

May 18, 2010
My pump is the original one that I purchased with my Intex 10x20 in 2010. I haven't had any problems really, but I am wondering since I saw a pump on clearance if I should replace it before I do start having problems. How long does a pump like this normally last? I don't want to spend extra money if I don't have to, but if it's a good move, I'd rather get it on clearance because I don't know how to fix things like that if something does go wrong. The Intex Krystal Clear 1,600 Gallon Sand Filter is the one I was looking at for $129.00. Good purchase or just wait? Thanks.

It's a good price, but it is less powerful than your current pump. It's also a sand filter, which has its own advantages and drawbacks. Sand is easier to maintain and you wouldn't have to buy cartridges. But you will have to backwash when needed and that can throw off your water balance since you would be emptying water out of your pool in the process. Cartridges can be a pain to clean, but they can filter down to 10 microns while a sand filter can only filter down to 30 microns. If you're happy with your current filter's performance and don't mind cleaning and/or replacing cartridges, then maybe you should stick with it and wait to replace it with another cartridge filter when the time comes. If you're wanting to switch to a sand filter, then it is a good deal. But again keep in mind that it's less powerful than your current pump. Intex also makes a 2500 gal/hr sand filter, but it's much more expensive.

Also, Bama Rambler suggested 2650 sand filter pump combo unit and the swg on the other board. It looks great too! Hmmm, all opinions very welcome to help this confused gal. I really love this board. You always help me so much! Thanks.

I have the intex 15'x 48 " pool. i purchased the 2650 intex sand filter & swg at the end of the season last year. hooked it up this summer. it is awesome sparkly water, no addition of bleach in more than a month and i really have not needed to backwash my filter.(the pressure has not gone above 25% of clean pressure). i have backwashed 3 times on my own though & my pool only is 4400 gallons. boy you lose a lot of water fast from the pool when you backwash, even for a few seconds. then you do have to fill the pool & adjust levels. i can say it was the best 2 purchases i have made. hope that helps!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.