Pool Calculator and Salt

Sorry for the hijack Sue, but have a request for info from Waterbear on the chromate/silver nitrate titration test. I have been using this test since I ran out of the strips that came with my TF100 and it seems to me to be as easy as the other titration tests. My results have been consistent and I have had success with using Jason's pool calculator in reaching my salt concentration goal. Could you give some specifics on the "trickyness" of the test?

Just curious, in case I might be able improve my methods.

the drop size o the silver nitrate titrant is particularly prone to static and for accurate results it becomes necessary to wipe the tip with a damp tissue after each drop. I have seen BETTER consistency of test results between the strips and a calibrated meter than the titration test. Be aware that the strip is actually a back-titration so it works differently than you standard "guess strip".

So I got a new batch of salt test strips today and tested the water using both the old and the new strips.

Old test strips say 2770
New test strips say 2220

And, yes, I matched the strip to the bottle it came out of when looking up the values in the chart.

So, quite a difference! Considering the past history, I'd have to say the first bottle of strips have never been accurate.

Now the Intex SWG says 3000ppm is ideal, but I am not getting a low salt alarm. Do y'all think I should go ahead and add salt anyway?

And, my apologies to JasonLion for suggesting that the pool calculator might be at fault!

The main reason to add salt is that the salt level will go down over the course of the season. If you add salt now you can take care of it for the entire season, instead of waiting till the low salt light happens to go on. not a big difference as long as you have some salt on hand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.