Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Run Pump Every Other Day?

1. Back To Top    #1

Run Pump Every Other Day?

In anticipation of the summer high energy months, a few folks I know were talking about running their pumps every other day. That doesn't seem feasible to me - I know what mine looked at after a day without a pump. What do you guys think?
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

2. Back To Top    #2
    sounds like a bad idea... I would think cutting down the run time a little each day would be a more feasible option...

Also, how are they sanitizing/circulating chems without running the pump??

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    It would be better to reduce the run time by half and run every day, IMO. If you have a chlorinator of any type, you are asking for problems going a full day without chlorination. For the sanitizer to be truly effective, you need circulation.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    Reducing the run time seems like a much better and easier to accomplish idea, IMHO.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Ideally you want to run the pump two or three times a day, assuming that is practical in your situation (your timer supports that, fits with time of day electrical rates, etc). Once a day is about the least frequent that works reasonably well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Perhaps running your pump only at night when the rates are the cheapest (if you have that kind of billing) would give you acceptable costs while still maintaining good circulation.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Hmmm.. I usually only run my pump 10-12 hours a day Thurs-Sun. Should I do it daily even if we are not swimming?
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

8. Back To Top    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jjdurrant
    Hmmm.. I usually only run my pump 10-12 hours a day Thurs-Sun. Should I do it daily even if we are not swimming?
    I vote "YES" on tha one, jj.

Also, you might want to think about reducing your run time to see how that goes.

We run 6 to 8 hrs per day, split half AM & half PM. Water is balanced and beautiful.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Ok.. Dam. I really need a timer. I assume a good freeze proof one is a couple hundred? Is there a particluar model you recommend?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Mine is next to the electrical panel in the garage and cost $24.00 from home depot. I think it may have been called a hot water heater timer. Can turn it on/off multiple times per day.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

11. Back To Top    #11
    ^^ my only concern is the -30 temps here in MN.

12. Back To Top    #12

If you only need a basic on/off timer, I highly recommend the Intermatic T100 series. I got a T101 from my local independent hardware store for $45. It's a 40amp/2HP timer. Lowe's has the T103 in my area for $52.18. I picked up an extra set of trippers for $2.50 to run mine twice a day. Home Depot also appears to have a T100 series for $39.93 although they use their own part number so I can't tell exactly which one it is.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

13. Back To Top    #13
    I would lessen the run time to no less than 6-8 hrs per day. Also check with your local power company to find out what the peak and non-peak kilowatt hours will be. And try to run your pump in the non-peak hours in the morning and late evening. I've already been doing this.

This is the rate schedule for those on Georgia Power (Southern Company)

SUMMER - June through September
    Base Charge..$7.50
    First 650 kWh...4.5991¢ per kWh
    Next 350 kWh...7.6450¢ per kWh
    Over 1000 kWh...7.8765¢ per kWh

ON-PEAK:
    The On-Peak period is defined as the hours starting at 2:00 p.m. and ending at 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday for the calendar months of June through September (Summer Months). The above hours on days in which the following holidays are observed shall be considered Off-Peak: Independence Day and Labor Day.

OFF-PEAK:
    The Off-Peak period is defined as all hours not included above in the On-Peak period including all weekends and the calendar months of October through May (Winter Months).
    *~ Laura ~*
    27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
    1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

14. Back To Top    #14
    The rule of thumb, which has worked well for me, is to run your pump one hour for every 10 degrees of your average temperature. If it's in the 80's - 8 hrs, in the 90's = 9 hours.

I run my pump for a few hours in the morning, along with the pool cleaner to get any debris that has fallen in the pool overnight, and then I run the pump the rest of the time in the evening after the pool is in the shade. This allows the sanitizer (chlorine) the greatest amount of time to effectively kill pathogens in the water without being consumed by sunlight.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

15. Back To Top    #15

I take it that those of you who are running mornings and nights do not have solar heaters? If I have a solar heater, I assume it is necessary to run when the sun is hottest, or late morning until 5pm.
    27' AGP with 6' deep end (AquaLeader); 3/4 hp, 2 speed pump (Pentair); 22" sand filter (Pentair Sand Dollar); 2 4x20 Solar Bear panels with Goldline control valve