New deck and gate done, but now have a problem.

May 6, 2012
Endicott NY
Hello everyone,

I Just finished my deck and gate, but the gate seems to be sagging. The gate its self if fine, its the 4x4 that the hinges attach to. Day one gate closed great, day 2 no longer will latch on its own. 4x4 is attached to the 2x12 stringer with 2 3/8 bolts. I thought it would be strong enough with the 2/12 stringer boxed in with 2x12 steps. Anyone have any idea how I can strengthen the post that doesn't include tearing up the concrete. or an idea for a lighter gate.
thanks for any help

Geo

IMG_1748_0.JPG

IMG_1749_0.JPG

Hm, I wish I could see the picture but it may be blocked where I am. I've used the rods listed in the link below to get doors to hang better. You put one of the correct length diagonally on your vertical posts. Top of vertical would go on post that needs to be pulled, bottom on another as an anchor. Just crank the threaded nut in the middle and it will raise the door. http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-45 ... 42244.aspx

If the problem is the stringer twisting under the weight of the post and gate you could try to draw it back in from underneath with a small stainless cable and turnbuckle or something and then install a permanent brace board. If the gate is sagging you could do the same thing with a cable going from the upper corner nearest the hinge to the lower corner farthest from the hinge. If the post itself is bending you could try to straighten it with counter pressure for awhile and then cut your gate in half and hinge the other side to the other post. Half as much weight on each post might not be enough to get things moving again. Just a few ideas that popped into my head. Good luck and nice deck.

Hey fellow NY'r...nice deck. Not much help in terms of strenthening the post, but when I built our deck 3-4 years ago, I bit the bullet and spent $175 on a pvc gate, built w/welded corners. Not sure if they make them in brown or tan, to match the wood, but it would be a lighter option in terms of weight, but not perhaps on the wallet.

Below is only close-up I could find on hand

IMG_1351.jpg

and not sure this helps, but from a distance back

IMG_1345.jpg

Simpson makes a Deck Tension Tie. It's part number begins with DTT. Basically it's a bolt thru the post that feeds into a tie further back on the support wood and you tighten the nut onto the long bolt and it creates tension on the joint.

I was going to use them on my deck but HD and Lowes don't sell them. After I got the decking on and the posts for the handrails mounted, I went to a full service lumberyard and they had ten times the Simpson items than HomeDepot sells and they had them in bins.

Now that I'm home and can see the pictures I understand what you mean. You need to find out what is happening. If its the stringing twisting then with the door open wide tightly box in under the step behind the 4x4. If it's the 4x4 bending then you need a way to strengthen it, that would be tough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I HATE 4X4s. They always twist and warp.

My thinking is that your gate is a pretty tight fit in the opening for an outdoor wooden structure.

Your problem is the bending moment on the post caused by the weight of the gate.
There are a couple of ways to fix it but none of them are pretty.
The best way is to sink another post beside the existing one and tie the two together. That way you could pull the existing post back plumb. You could do that on both sides and it would look balanced.
Another way would be to replace the gate posts with longer posts and place a header across the top. That would prevent the weight of the gate from bending the hinge post.

Now that I look at it gain, my solution won't work. There no structure to tie to improving strength. I would try something else. I see you only have one stringer on the outside of the stair and your gate is build inside of that.

Thanks, I thought about the strong tie solution, but It would not work here. I also thought about a post next to the 4x4 and tie into it. That would work great, but not look right.I think I'm going to recess the lach into the door and see how bad it gets. The door is a tight fit, I may be able to trim it Down some and be good. The door itself is not hitting the 4x4 but the latch is hitting the other side of the latch. I will notch it tonight and see if it fixes it.

Here's is what I did, I shaved 1/2 inch off the gate. Now closes great again. I'm going to give it some time. As posted before, I may of not left any room for the opening to settle. It was a very close fit for an outside gate. I made it a close fit because the pressure treated wood is still wet and will shrink when dry. I'm hoping the settling is close to being done.. The gate is a bit heavy. Im going to look for ideas on a lighter gate. Here is a slide show of my pool and deck build. This was a 1 man install from start to finish, and all dug by hand accept the digging the electric. Only had help putting up the pool wall. This is one project I'm glad is almost over. Still have to do the skirt around the bottom. Thanks for the help!! http://youtu.be/rE5Qz-FczmY

Hello,
First of all let me ask, did you build that deck? If so you are better than 3/4 of the "pros" NICE BUILD! Thank you for not using 4x4's to hold your deck up. Second docchop1 is on the right track. Going by how well the gate is built and what you are saying and what I see, the stringer that the hinge post is attached to is rotating do to gate weight, not uncommon. If what you did is working for you and it doesn't happen again than you are set obviously, however if it happens again you need to get that hinge post to stay plumb. The top of that stringer is the pivot point the bottom edge is swinging to the outside causing the top of the post to swing in "toe in" toward the other post. You need to link the bottom edge of the left stringer to the bottom edge of the right stringer with a 2x6 on its flat screwed to the underside. This will link the bottom of the hinge post to the latch post.

Thank you, yes I bult it myself, thank you. So far it is staying, but it's only been 2 days. I hope it has moved as far as it's going to go. The gate at the bottom was an after thought and had the concreete all done. Code wanted the gate to open away from the pool, not a good thing at the top of the stairs. If I planned it for the bottom I would of had more choices. I did make the gate stubby fit, any sag would of made it rub. Thanks for the help, I'm keeping all these ideas in mind if I have to take further action.

Geo

Anderqual said:
Hello,
First of all let me ask, did you build that deck? If so you are better than 3/4 of the "pros" NICE BUILD! Thank you for not using 4x4's to hold your deck up. Second docchop1 is on the right track. Going by how well the gate is built and what you are saying and what I see, the stringer that the hinge post is attached to is rotating do to gate weight, not uncommon. If what you did is working for you and it doesn't happen again than you are set obviously, however if it happens again you need to get that hinge post to stay plumb. The top of that stringer is the pivot point the bottom edge is swinging to the outside causing the top of the post to swing in "toe in" toward the other post. You need to link the bottom edge of the left stringer to the bottom edge of the right stringer with a 2x6 on its flat screwed to the underside. This will link the bottom of the hinge post to the latch post.

Why doesn't the bottom step do the same thing as the 2x6 you suggest?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.