Automatic Pool cover questions / repair

Aug 2, 2012
Hi,

I am new to the forum and I have tried researching this as much as possible, but since my automatic pool system doesn't seem to have a brand name logo on it, I am not sure which model it is and most of the sites I have looked at don't have much info or a different setup.

My Pool is 35' x 18' and everything was working great till a few days ago when I tried to open the pool cover and could only hear the motor running. I opened up the cover stone and examined the motor and pulleys and everything seemed fine until I had someone else turn the key to open the cover. The motor shaft was spinning but the connecting shaft to the pulleys wasn't moving. There are 2 bolts and one of the bolt head was sheared off I am guessing unless it's a half bolt. I am thing that maybe both bolts are sheared so the shaft is spinning??

In anycase, if anyone can point me towards some repair info or a parts layout for this type of system I would be greatly thankful!! I am also posting another picture if one of the plastic sensors that seemed to be broken off and I am guessing I need to get a new replacement bracket ( enclosed images )

Thanks,
Owen West

Attachments

• motorpull.jpg
    motorpull.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 160
  • motorpull02.jpg
    motorpull02.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 158
  • sidebracket.jpg
    sidebracket.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 157
It certainly looks like there was a bolt in the hole on the right of that shaft coupling. It looks like the bolt in the bottom of the cavity, I would guess.

I don't know but...
Did it shear to protect the cover?
Did the nut spin off and the bolt fall out?

To be honest, I am not sure!! It might have been wear and tear and the bolts sheared off, I am thinking I should 1st start with replacing the bolts and then try to open the cover and see what happens from there.

Thanks,

Owen

If you don't have a bolt to fit, you could try with an old allen key stuck in there. I would work until it fell out. Even a coat hanger wire for testing.

Seems like if you lined up the the two hole on the right, it would let you test before running to the hardware store.

Did you fish out the bolt under the motor? Was there any damage to it? If there is.. is there any rust or corrosion in the damaged section (old damage, slow ear) or is it all shiny (recent and happened quickly?

Can you move the cover freely by hand? I am asking to see if there is any binding in the pulleys and such. I assume there is a rope on both side of the pool?

Hi Techguy,
The cover is closed and we did try to push on it and with some effort is moved a few inches. As for the bolt head, no I didn't look for it yet, I need to clean up the whole area since it has a bunch of leafs and dirt build up. I will pull out the bolts tonight and match them up at the hardware store and give it a try. I am also wondering where can I find parts? I would like to order a replacement bracket that the sensor broke off of.

Thanks for any input

Owen

I know nothing about these but in the photo, it looks like there is a bolt laying in the leaves, under the coupling. If I am guessing, it looks like a 5/16 bolt.

As for the sensor, take the broken bracket (and the other part is you can get it) take it to the oldest guy in the hardware store and ask him to help you find a solution. Those old guys know lots. I am talking in the hardware store where the old guys work, not a place with aprons on.

I need to run home and built a gate to keep my puppy out the pool. She learned how to climb the ladder and get on her float....today.

My wife got home and found her IN the pool, on her float... the culprit

IMG_5025.JPG

My kid is at camp...

Ok turns out there are 2 bolts and the roller side bolt sheared off, guessing from wear, so I replaced the bolt and it opens just fine. Now I need to see about replacing the bracket with the broken off sensor, so anyone know a online store that has items like this?

Thanks,
Owen

I just ran across this and it looks just like the PCS cover I put on my pool may need to call and find dealer to get the part. Bracket bolts on for the magnetic sensor for auto stop for opening and closing. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.