Cavatation, Clogs and Crazy-making

Can you see the impeller moving? Even take the lid off, let the water drain, and turn it on briefly and see if you can see it turning.
If it is turning at 3600 RPM as it should, even with just a little water in the basket, the water should be churning at least some.

Maybe it is just turning too slow to get water moving ... which could be a capacitor I guess (not 100% on that).

If all else fails and you have waterproof PVC glue... and a new coupling... and are willing to take a shower, you could cut the pipe that leaves the pump and see if it will make a geyser with the pump running.

I was thinking you could cut in the tube going up, leaving enough room in the pipe to glue it back together.... or even the straight section going toward the trash can.

I know this is a radical idea but it would prove the block exists after the pump.

You would see a little water moving if it was turning slow. I would verify that the impeller is turning. Sounds like your impeller has broken from where it screws on to the motor shaft.

BeanTree said:
So it is possible that the impeller is spinning but just too slow?

You cannot see the impeller itself with the basket lid off.

If the motor is spinning the impeller it's turning at the correct (3450 rpm) speed.

You cannot tell if the impeller is clogged by feeling it through the front of the pump housing. You have to detach the motor from the pump (that big clamp that separates the two halves. Then remove the diffuser (the gizmo that covers the impeller). Then, and only then, you can use a wire to clean out any obstructions in the impeller vanes (work from the outside in).

Yes, if the impeller broke loose of the pump, it could spin the motor freely without any water resistance but not pump water.

This is why I suggested the tube cut. Prove the pump...pumps water when installed.

techguy said:
Yes, if the impeller broke loose of the pump, it could spin the motor freely without any water resistance but not pump water.

This is why I suggested the tube cut. Prove the pump...pumps water when installed.

But running on Waste is basically the same thing (assuming no clog in the multi-valve).

I just have a feeling it is not spinning at 3400 rpm OR the impeller is completely plugged to see no churning in the pump basket.

I just took the motor off of the pump and checked the impeller again. It is moving, freely. There is NOTHING obstructing the impellers. I have pics I will post if you want me too. The impeller looks fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jblizzle said:
But running on Waste is basically the same thing (assuming no clog in the multi-valve).

I just have a feeling it is not spinning at 3400 rpm OR the impeller is completely plugged to see no churning in the pump basket.

I completely agree...but what if something is impacted in the pipe section or in the multivalve by the filter?

I pulled the pump apart and checked for obstructions. Everything seemed to be as clean as a whistle. If there is an obstruction in the multivalve, how would I deal with that? It has been harder to turn the valve to different settings. Ugh...pvc glue...

Attachments

• IMG_2361.JPG
    IMG_2361.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 39
Had the impeller spun loose, it would have likely jammed against the diffuser, raising all kinds of havoc. If the impeller threads had completely stripped, it will come right off the shaft. The ONLY way to tell is to pull the motor, remove the diffuser and check the impeller up close and personal.

FYI: Unless Variable Speed these kinds of motors (synchronous) have no choice but to spin at the proper RPM (3450 RPM). If some condition prevents that the motor will almost immediately overheat and stop working.

While writing this post you posted a picture of your pump.

I can't see a diffuser there??? Can you tilt the motor up some and take picture where we can see more of the face of the seal plate?

vsyzer said:
looks like the impeller is broken

Yeah ... it looks like half the impeller is missing. Shouldn't those curved lines should be between 2 plates ( or are some pool pumps different?)

Maybe try adding a picture like this:

starite1.jpg

BeanTree said:
Ok looking at the parts list from a dealer, we may have found the problem. I think what I thought was 2 pieces is actually supposed to be ONE piece!
http://www.poolandspastuff.com/PumpPart ... terAce.htm

check out that impeller. What they show, I have in 2 parts. That would explain this. Now...to get this o

Yep, all of the above. Replace the impeller. (I have glued them back together, but why bother).

Finally, you've found it! :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.