Scheduling/setup with Easytouch

CraigMW

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2011
Orange County, CA
I have recently installed an Easytouch 8 for pool/spa combo on our system. I'm starting to understand how to program it, something of a challenge. One thing I cannot wrap my brain around is the best way to set up a schedule for it. Our system has an Intelliflo VS pump, two valve actuators controlling flow to/from the pool vs. spa, and I'm adding an additional one to control the cleaner line valve which is connected between the skimmer/drain and the cleaner suction line (connected to a suction side MX8 cleaner). Before the ET8, I used the scheduling inside the Intelliflo VS to control the following schedule: 8:00 AM, turn on pump at 2850 for skimming and cleaner, then at 11:00 AM turn the pump on at 1500 rpm to continue filtering until 5:00 PM. I'd basically like to do the same thing, but would like to run the cleaner and skimmer as separate functions. I find that the MX8 needs a bit more vacuum to get going and not get stuck on leaves. Thus, the dedicated cleaner valve.

Here's the plan:

7:00 AM, Cleaner function (around 2500 rpm), suction completely through cleaner line via 3rd actuator ("Valve B")
9:00 AM, Skimming function (around 2500), suction completely to skimmer/drain (Valve B off)
11:00 AM, switch to low speed for chlorination (via IC60), heating and filtering (probably 1500 rpm).
5:00 PM, pump off

The Filter Pump button on the panel activates the filter pump. This is automatically scheduled to activate at 8:00 AM and turn off at 5:00 PM. I have also programmed a CLEANER/MASTER CLEANER circuit and function, and this mode can be activated from the F. Circuit menu page. Should I set the Pool/POOL mode to run at a low speed (e.g. 1500) as the default speed, and then set up the CLEANER mode to come on at 7:00 AM, and HI SPEED mode to come on at 11:00, and then standard Pool/POOL mode to start at 11:00 AM? Or do I set the Pool/POOL mode to run from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and then run the two functions to come on during that 7-5 window? This is very confusing.

BTW, I did program a LOW SPEED mode as a Feature Circuit. If the Filter Pump button is lighted, activating this LOW SPEED mode from the F. Circuits menu does nothing. If the Filter Pump is off (from the main panel button), I can activate the LOW SPEED function, but it does not activate the Filter Pump button/LED. BTW, I programmed the LOW SPEED mode with a "Generic" function. I didn't see any other function associated that would allow me to run this as a pump speed command. Also, if I'm not seeing the Filter Pump LED coming on in the main menu, does that mean that the Filter Pump relay (wired to the IC60 and the heater) will not come on?

Geez, why is this stuff so darned confusing???

Hello, I have the ET8, and I also use an actuator with Valve B for my cleaner. (valve A is, as you know, is usually for solar). My solution is fairly simple. I schedule the pool mode (drain/skimmer) for the entire time frame (valve B off), lets say from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm at the programmed speed. I then schedule the cleaner (valve B on) for a subset of that time from (lets say 11:00 am to 1:00 pm). I do not use the Master Cleaner, I only use the Cleaner circuit name which I have assigned to Feature Circuit #2, which I believe is Circuit #11. In my intellipro speed programming, I assign a higher speed to the Cleaner Feature Circuit, so that when it the schedule for the Cleaner goes active (11:00 to 1:00), it kicks up the speed, and then reverts back to the Pool mode (drain/skimmer) speed when complete. The other change I made is that, I changed the actuator for Valve B so that it does not fully close off the drain/skimmer when it is cleaner mode, just in case my in-wall suction line disconnects and the fliphatch closes off, I still have suction coming thru. If you have instructions, you can figure out how to open up the actuator and re-position the stop position of the rotation so that you can get a custom stopping point.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the Master Cleaner circuit function has the interlock for main pump and cleaner booster pump. since I do not have a booster pump, I didn't think I needed that circuit function. I may be wrong on that point so maybe someone else will step in here, but for my above solution, it works great. It takes some trial and error to find the correct additional speed and degree of rotation stoppage on the actuator, but it is possible.

There may be some other issues if your solar, when active by thermostat, creates a need for more suction, but for me that it does not seem to degrade the performance of my drain/skimmer mode.

Hope this helps.
Ponytrekker

Thanks for the reply, Ponytrekker. I've figured out that it is best to program a low speed POOL function that is the default; this is the speed that the pump will run when another schedule (at higher speed) is not running. I have it so that the POOL function kicks on at 7:30 and then the CLEANER function runs between 8-10:00 AM. The CLEANER again runs from 3-4:00 PM. When the CLEANER function runs, the system switches the Valve B so that nearly all water is drawn from the cleaner line. This has been working incredibly well for the last few months, and keeps the pool in very good shape. Now that I have an Autelis unit set up, I can more easily set up these kinds of programs once I've set up the various functions on the Easytouch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.