Bad winding, 2 yr old 3HP AO Smith, causes?

shellsingleton

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2008
Lafayette, LA w/pool in Hot Springs, AR
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
My main pump motor began making noise a couple months ago. After I got back from my last hitch offshore, it was tripping the breaker after trying to start for 5 or so seconds. I could still spin the shaft by hand, but could feel a rumble like a bearing had gone. There was no moisture to suggest the seal had gone bad.
Took it a repair shop yesterday, and they diagnosed a bad bearing housing and bad winding. AO Smiths warranty is one year, so I'm out of luck on that. I would like to avoid replacing this motor again in a couple years, so can you tell me what may have caused the failure?

Bad bearing caused overheating of the insulation of the windings if there is no leak is one guess. I realize that a 3hp motor is pretty large, did it replace something that was larger? Could the pump (wet end) be partially clogged adding an additional strain on the motor?
Just a couple ideas.

No, I have AquaGenie skimmers with no bottom drain. That would have been a good idea though, thanks.
The motor for my Polaris went out for three months, I'm sure that contributed to the load in the skimmer baskets. Now that I have it running again, hopefully it will make it easier for my to keep things cleaned out while I'm gone.
I found a replacement motor for about $375 shipped. Looks like I'll be ordering it, plus a new PS – 1000 seal kit tomorrow.

If you have not ordered the motor yet, why are you not considering a smaller motor and impeller? Likely would cost less than the 3HP motor and would save electrical costs.

For that matter, you could likely get a 2-speed motor and impeller for around the same cost as the 3HP.

Qwaxalot said:
That's an awful lot of pump for a pool that size. Unless you have lots of large intake and return plumbing, Consider putting on a smaller impeller.
jblizzle said:
If you have not ordered the motor yet, why are you not considering a smaller motor and impeller? Likely would cost less than the 3HP motor and would save electrical costs.

For that matter, you could likely get a 2-speed motor and impeller for around the same cost as the 3HP.
OK, you guys have my attention. I figured they used 3HP in order to have enough flow/pressure for the spillover spa.
Can a compool 3600 control a 2 speed pump?
What info can I get you guys to help me decide if I can downsize and/or go with a 2 speed motor?
Thanks for all your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.