New Pool Quote - NC - Feedback

Jul 23, 2012
Cary, NC (Raleigh)
Hey everyone. Been reading this forum for a while now as we begin the investigation into an in-ground pool so here's my first post!
In the Raleigh, NC area and got a quote from the large major well known pool builder in the area and here is their quote I could use feedback on and thoughts. It came out much more expensive than we had thought. Our yard is fairly flat except where it slopes into the house and would require a small low deck to come out and meet the pool area from our screened porch.

In-Ground Vinyl Lined Pool:
21'x32' Didn't list total gallons or premiter length
Hayward Tri-Star 2 speed 1-1.5 hp pump
Hayward S244T Sand Filter
2 Skimmers
4 Returns
2 main Drains
Ladder
Pentair never lube valves
Sch 40 2" PVC Pipes - preplumbed for Polaris 280
Pool Cleaner: Polaris 280 w/Booster Pump Installed
1 500W Light
100 amp Hayward Goldline Digital Programmer
Hayward Aquarite Chlorine Genorator w/ Nature II
All basic maintenance items (poles, test kits, etc...)
$22,800

Integral steps w/ 5' Sundeck +$4,000
Heater: Aqua Comfort Heat Pump AC-75 +$2,500
Steigmeier Forms for cantilever concrete edge 87lf +$522
Loop Loc Winter Cover installed +$2,500
Electrical Wiring +2,000
Stamped Concrete Decking 700sq +$6,825 at 9.75/sqft
Dirt Removal +1,500
Total Package came out with above at ~$44,000

Still need about 360lf of wood privacy fence and the small deck of 12'x15'.

Thanks for any thoughts or feedback. I'm not looking for the gold-standard pool just a nice setup.

What is the Nature 2 listed with the Hayward SWG?

If it is one of the systems that add metal (copper) to the water, I would nix that from the price as it is not needed and can cause problems.

What size cell comes with the SWG?

Hi Jason, How much in cost and/or headache savings would one expect from nixing the Nature II system. Like blb, I too am looking at an winter build with like equipment. Any additional thought on the above set up, as mentioned looking to price out similar IG vinyl & equipment package.
Thanks
tcecc

Some of the nature 2 systems add minerals (copper) to the pool, if it gets too high you get staining and green hair. The replacement packs for it are pretty expensive.

If you maintain adequate chlorine, there is no reason to be spending the money on adding minerals to the pool which could cause problems.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks Blugrass, I beleive it would be the upcharge for cantilvered coping as the line on my quote reads ...Steigmeier Forms (Cantilever concrete edge)
(repaces white metal coping )...but all good points to clarify with PB. How do you feel about size of your 18-36 Vinyl IG as I'm looking at winter or early spring build for 18x41 doulbe roman end. I'm in NC so silimar region as you I beleive.

Thanks for the input on the Nature II Jason, appreciate it.
Thanks
tcecc

The Steigmeier forms are styrofoam and are thrown away after. They form the edge profile of the concrete (there are several profiles, mine was "keystone") whereas the metal ones stay on the pool and form the finished edge.

Welcome :wave: Durham NC pool owner here.

IMO, It appears to be a bit of overkill at that pool size to have 2 main drains, 4 returns and 2 skimmers. I have a 18 x 36 inground vinyl and have NO main drain, 1 skimmer, 2 returns. Now, if I had to do it all over again, I'd get a main drain and more returns. Not sure if you need another skimmer to go up to 4 returns. If you do, then that explains that.

I have no heater. Unless you want to use pool in early May and late September when evening temps are low resulting in very chilly water, I wouldn't bother with a heater. We are in the pool by mid-late May with water temps in low 80s, and as late as September with water temps about the same. We don't use a solar cover either. Mid summer, water temps get as high as mid-90!! Once kid starts school and hunting season starts we don't have as much demand for use of pool. If y'all are going to use the pool early and late in the season, then heater would be great.

When our pool guy did our pool quote, startup and closing chems were written into the quote. They came out to close pool for first time and put in the loop lock cover brass fittings as well as put the cover on. Clarify that those are part of quote.

Enjoy your pool!

EDIT: oops! It appears I read your pool size incorrectly. I thought it was 12x32. So, ignore my skimmer/return/main drain blurb above. A 21x32 pool would require some added returns/skimmer I do believe. Never seen or heard of one that wide. I'd love to see pictures when it's done!!!! hint

tceccar said:
.... How do you feel about size of your 18-36 Vinyl IG as I'm looking at winter or early spring build for 18x41 doulbe roman end. I'm in NC so silimar region as you I beleive.
tcecc

We are fairly content with our 18x36. If I had it to do over again though, I would either go 20x40, or keep the 18x36 but add roman ends.
In my opinion, a SWCG is money well spent. And go with the biggest size you can get.
One more thing: get as much decking as you can afford from the start! We opted for quite a bit of additional concrete decking, and doing it over, I would still add more.

Additional info: We have family in Apex. You're correct, our weather is very similar. We absolutely love it around Cary and Apex.

So I figured I'd follow-up on my original post.
The wife and I decided to pull the trigger and move forward with our pool build after months of debate, research, and quoting (you only live once and can't take it with you right!). Permits are being pulled right now.

We ended up with a slightly different setup than above and went with a smaller 18x30 "mountain pond" type of design. We really debated about the location in the yard of the pool and how to incorporate a small retaining wall, patio, and pool deck area. The builder and concrete contractor were great and came out multiple times to review my design and offer ideas while trying to reduce costs.
We're opting to not install a heater right now (to save some $) but will probably have it pre-wired for one.
We wanted to maintain as much grass area in the yard as possible to allow our young little one room to play when not in the pool. Will be doing about 800 sq ft total of broom finished and colored patio (off the screen porch) and pool patio area.

I'm hoping the build process goes all fine and we stay on budget since we'll be keeping a close eye on any 'extra' items or increased patio area that come along. Wish me luck to a good on time and on budget build and awaiting the warmth to arrive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:goodjob: Good luck.

Do you want to post up your current quote / equipment plans for further comment?

Trying to think of things that can be important that are never listed:
- separate plumbing runs to the pad for the skimmer and floor drains
- less important, but separate runs to each return
- What are the pipe sizes being used?

Good point.

All returns are run seperate.
The skimmers are run seperate and independent. The two main drains are tied and run together.

In-Ground Vinyl Lined Pool w/ external vinyl lined stairs:
18'x30' 11,300 gal
Hayward Tri-Star 2 speed 1 hp pump
Hayward S244T Sand Filter
2 Skimmers
4 Returns
2 main Drains
Ladder & Handrail
Pentair never lube valves
Overflow Line
Sch 40 2" PVC Pipes - preplumbed for Polaris 280 w/booster pump installed.
1 500W Light (figured I'd someday soon upgrade or replace with LED)
100 amp Hayward Goldline Digital Programmer
Hayward Aquarite Chlorine Genorator
All basic maintenance items (poles, test kits, etc...)
Start up chemicals and instructions

By the time we add pool, concrete area/retaining wall, tree removal, code grade fence around property, electrical work, drainage work, etc.. project totaled up to about $43k. Will have to add a safety cover though come fall.

What size is the Aquarite? I would recommend at least the 25k cell size ... the 40k would likely be overkill.

Everything else looks good to me ... good choice getting the large filter and 2-speed motor!

You will want to have one of the recommended test kits on hand before you fill with water and I would take everything they tell you related to chemistry with a grain of salt. Pay attention to what they are planning to do for start up. Note that salt should NOT be added for at least 30 days after you fill the pool, so you will need to use liquid chlorine for the first month.

Thanks for the input.
I need to further review the test kits recommended on the site and get one, but still have a few months to decide on that.
Why would you say go with a 25k cell versus the smaller 15k cell? What's the advantage of going with a larger cell?
Thanks.

We generally recommend a cell sized for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. Typically the rating size is based on if you were running it all the time, but you will not want to run your pump all the time. With a larger cell size it outputs more so you can run the pump less and still generate enough FC.

Also they have a "fixed" life span (sort of), so if you are running it not as hard/as much, it should last longer and offset the slight increase in cell cost.

Kind of a silly anaology:
Would you rather tow a semi trailer with an F-150 or a diesel tractor truck? Both are design to haul/tow, and should get the job done, but the F-150 is going die much sooner.

Congratulations on your decision to go ahead with the project! We will be going with a lot of similar Hayward equipment but with a cartridge filter. Our permit was issued yesterday and they will probably dig on Tuesday. I look forward to watching your progress.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.