Heater for Spa Only

Aug 1, 2012
Hello,

I am building a new pool and looking for a spa heater. Basically I only want to heat the water in the spa and not the pool. Do you have energy efficient pumps that only heats the volume of water in the spa ? Something small. In the current plans since I had not planned for a pool heater - the plan only has a 2 speed pump. Since I want to heat the spa only do i need to install a separate pump for the spa and pool in addition to the spa heater. The spa is an 8ft radius 1/2 circle in size. Pool is 15x32 irregular size.

Thanks

I see you have not gotten a response yet, so here are my thoughts:

Do the spa and pool share the same water? That is typically true.

In this type of setup it is common to use valves to select the suction and return lines. When you want to use the spa, you switch the suction and return valves to the spa and then turn on the heater. This can then share the same pump. As such, you only heat the water when you are going to use the spa, so it is best to have a large heater to heat the water quickly.

The other option would be to have separate bodies of water with separate pumps, filters, and a heater on the spa. This will require more expense up front and require you to maintain the chemistry in 2 separate systems.

I am not sure I can name a model, but more info is needed to even narrow it down:

What utilities are available? (gas, electric, propane)
Are you going to keep it hot or only heat when you want to use it?
Where do you live? What is the weather like when you want to use the spa?

For a spa, I do not think an electric heat pump would work. They are the cheapest, and most efficient, but heat slowly and only when the weather is warm.

So you are left with an electric resistive heater (least efficient) or a propane heater. The bigger you go, the faster the water will be heated when you want it ... you will use the same amount of electricity or propane to heat the water, but it will be faster with a larger heater.

Now you have to figure out if you actually have the electrical capacity to run a heater by the pool. How many amps is your service? How far is the panel from where the pool heater would be?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.