Test results!

Jul 30, 2012
Florida
I took a sample from pool to store today, these are the numbers they gave me.
Chlorine-0
ph-7.6
alkalinity-170
ch-210
stabilizer-0

They told me to put in 6 lbs of stabilizer, yellow treat, 1 gallon chlorine. Then tomorrow add another 1 1/2 gallons more of chlorine. When it clears up 7 calcium.
The water is now a green yellow, from black brown, so I'm hoping this will get it so I can see the bottom. Does what there telling me to do seem right? Doesn't seem like enough chlorine to me, but what do I know :-D

They are close-ish if you can trust their numbers (I do not).

Do this: First, add stabilizer to get to about 30ppm (I would use 3lbs which will raise it by 25ppm ... you may not really be at 0ppm). Second, go through the shock process described in Pool School ... this requires you have you own good test kit.

There is not point in adding the "yellow treat" and you can worry about the CH (calcium) when the pool is clear.

The shock process requires you to continually add bleach to maintain a certain FC level (that is a function of your CYA level). You can not expect to just a a jug here and a jug there and have the pool turn clear.

BTW: If you read Pool School a few times ... you WILL know more than the employees at the pool store!!!

You obviously need your own test kit, but they aren't too wrong.
I'd only add 2 lbs of stabilizer to start with.
1 gallon of 12% will raise your FC by 9 ppm and that's ok for zero CYA.
1.5 gallons will raise the FC by 13 ppm which is shock level for 30 ppm CYA.

Of course you're gonna need to shock your pool longer than 2 days.

No need to add the yellow out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.