I came back to emerald green water

May 15, 2012
After 2 weeks away, I came back to emerald green water. I followed directions and now all the green is gone, but the water is still very cloudy after 10 days. I can barely see the pattern on the bottom of this 4' deep pop-up pool. I am running the sand filter 24/7. I have periodically added DE, per instructions, but the return flow decreases so drastically (even though the pressure only rises slightly) I generally backwash after an hour. I really want my sparkling beautiful water back. Am I just being impatient? Should I give up, drain and refill? And, for future reference, is it possible to load the pool with chlorine prior to leaving and come back to a better situation?
Thanks for all the great info on your site!

Yes, you can load up chlorine in your pool prior to going away by bringing your pool up to shock level just as you leave. You can also use pucks while you are away and deal with the slight rise in CYA when you get back. The cloudy water is the algae you have killed and the only way to get rid of it is to filter it out or re-fill.

You can definately shock the pool before leaving next time. Covering it with a solar cover, just below shock level also helps reduce FC loss.

I normally do not advise this, but on a 6k gal pool but it maybe faster and more economical to do a substantial drain and fill if you are on city water and not in drought conditions. Intex filters tend to be terribly undersized and you'll want to maximize what swim time you have left.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.