First time pool owner

Aug 1, 2012
Just moved in with my girlfriend and to save some money she is getting rid of her gardener/pool guy which she was paying $250 a month. I don't know the first thing about pools since where I grew up pools were a luxury for the rich and most everyone just went to the local lakes. The pool is was built with with the house in 1980. So far I can manage to turn the Jacuzzi on along with the heat. The rest of the dials and valves are a mystery and so far all have managed to do is drain the jacuzzi into the pool which I couldn't figure out how to reverse it. Beyond that I need recommendations on a test kit for the pool preferably one that is digital so I have more accurate readings. Another issue is the pool light which I was told needs replaced can anyone recommend a good light to take its place?

48c18ca4-b7b2-f14f.jpg

48c18ca4-b7c2-1dfe.jpg

48c18ca4-b7d2-d47e.jpg
48c18ca4-b7e9-860a.jpg
48c18ca4-b7f8-3fd9.jpg
48c18ca4-b809-51cf.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343862592.529131.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343862592.529131.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 78
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343862613.562921.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343862613.562921.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 78
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343862646.638786.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343862646.638786.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 78
:wave: Welcome :wave:

Well, the first thing I want to tell you is that digital does NOT mean more accurate. See the link in my signature for the test kits we recommend ... the TF-100 gives you more bang for the buck if you will as the size of the bottles is more representative of what you actually need.

Also read Pool School (see sig or button at upper right) a few times to start learning about the chemistry.

In your pictures I see the suction side valves (skimmer, main drain, spa and cleaner), but I do not see the return side valves ... try adding a few more pictures or the pipes heading back to the pool and a picture of everything at the same time.

When you are switching to/from the spa you will need to turn at least 1 valve on the suction side and one valve on the return side ... sounds like you did not turn this second one and thus you drained the spa.

EDIT: Actually may I do see the return side next to the suction side. I would think the pipe in the middle of that valve is from the filter and then the one with the orange ball valve is the SPA side and the other would be the pool return. In the picture it actually looks like only the spa is open, so maybe that is not correct.

Yeah, so one side of the valve by itself returns the water to the pool and one side returns the water to the spa.

Note the word OFF on the valve handle, that is what is closed ... some times confuses people with the orientation of the handle.

This last picture appears to be in POOL mode, the suction has the SPA closed and the return appears to have what I think is the SPA also closed.

Ugh ... I now realize that the way these 3-way valves are installed in not very good at all. This is the perfect example of why you want the main in/out of the 3-way valve to the middle port. With this setup, you can not partially close the main drain of skimmer without partially closing the other path for the water.

You do not close the pool do you? You may not need to change the timer at all. You just need to run it long enough to keep the pool pretty clean of debris.

Digital testers just aren't very good yet, I'd go with a TF-100. As for lights do you need to replace the whole fixture or just the bulb? If it's just the bulb I really like the J&J Colorsplash 3g or if you need to replace the entire fixture I'm a big fan of the Pentair lights.

I have the Colorsplash 3G bulb as well, more interesting that a white bulb, but certainly not as bright (by why do you need to too bright?).
You need to figure out what is wrong though. Is there power at the switch? Is there power to the deck box (where all the pool light wires meet, should be near the light)? There may just be a GFCI tripped and that is why the light is off, or maybe it is the bulb.

To remove the fixture there should just be 1 screw on the top and then you should be able to lift it up onto the deck and then open it up to remove the bulb. When you replace the bulb, also replace the gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.