Filter Pressure down, Heater (no flow)

Easto

Jun 27, 2010
I went to shut off my pump, etc for the day.

Prior to turned it off I checked on the heater display to see what the current water temp is.

It said "NO FLOW"

I looked at the filter and the pressure gauge showed that the filter pressure was also down at 2ish. Normally its around 10.

Jandy LXi

What could cause this and what's the remedy?

I don't know if the filter pressure has much to do with it. From what I understand, the pressure gauges tend to break often.

But it still can't think of a reason why the heater would say no flow.

I hope it's an easy fix.

Sounds like you have some obstruction either between the pool and the pump, or between the pump and the filter, or something clogging the impeller, or a suction side air leak ... these could result in low pressure and low flow.

Does the gauge go to 0 when the pump is off? If so, it is probably fine and given that the heater is also complaining ... likely the gauge is fine.

You see air in the pump basket?

When I turn off the pump the pressure goes to zero.

No air in the pump basket

No air coming from the returns

I have a UV and I can see the water passing through it, so I know (I assume) there is flow.

jblizzle said:
The pressure switch might explain the heater error, but that would not likely affect the filter pressure being low as well.

What would you suggest I do to troubleshoot the problem?

As a side note, I am not really handy so taking apart a pump, etc is out of my league

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you don't see any air in the returns, JB is most likely correct in that it's a blockage somewhere.

It might help if you could post a pic of your setup.

Do you have a lot of leaves, etc getting in your pool on a regular basis?

The filter pressure was really low so I took out the cartridges and gave them a good clean.

The pressure went up to 6.5

The heater now works.

I always thought that a dirty filter causes the pressure to increase.

Check the basket in your pump to make sure it's not full of crud. Also, try shutting your pump off, taking the basket out, and making sure the hole going to the pump is not clogged with stuff (pine needles, etc). Might try this too - when the pump is on, give the gage a decent smack to see if it jumps. Not too much - don't want to break the gage and/or hurt yourself. But solid enough to dislodge a seriously stuck gage. Assuming you are sure it is not sucking air and your water level is high enough, my bet is there is a blockage between the pump and your filter.

I checked the gauge on top of the filter so I am sure the gauge I am looking at is the proper gauge.

How would wrong plumbing cause the gauge to be all Rear backwards?

I find this so odd

The gauge only reads the pressure on one side of the cartridge. If the plumbing was backward, then it would be reading the downstream side of the cartridge and would lower when dirty.

Seems like a long shot, but your results are puzzling.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.