Serious Pool Rehab Underway - Advice Sought

Aug 1, 2012
First and foremost, I'd want to start off by saying that I am very impressed at the number of knowledgeable people and great advice I have found so far while browsing this forum. I think I need a little more information on my 'particular' scenario, so I decided to register and be apart of this great pool of individuals.

I purchased a home that currently has an inground pool. Unfortunately, it is not operational and needs a complete remodel. Rough measurement of the pool are 16x40 with a depth of 9ft at the deep end and 3 1/2 feet at the shallow. It is a sand bottom inground pool and needs some serious work before a liner can be made/installed. The coping is non existent as is the liner track. Actually, I'm embarrassed to admit, but there were actually saplings growing in the sand of the pool...

Now for the good. I have had a few knowledgeable people come and inspect the structure and surprisingly the concrete and structure all look sound! There are no major structural issue with the actual pool walls (everything looks to be cosmetic). The plumbing, with the exception of being able to find the main drain, looks to be in great condition ( a pressure test will be in order). From what we believe, the previous owners drained and winterized the pool but did not have the money to re-open. So it just sat.

Knowing that the pool can be fixed with some work, I have put together a list of what needs to be done. Plumbing test, Cinderella CP-2 Coping Install, Pouring of Coping Concrete and patching/painting of interior concrete walls. This would be phase I to be completed this fall. Phase II would occur MID spring. It would include new skimmer/pump/filter/ozonator, re-forming of the sand base for the liner using PB111J and measuring/ordering the liner. Liner would then be installed, line-locked, filled and filtration system tested.

Here are my questions: 1) How does my course of attack sound? 2) Has anyone had any experience with the new product PB111J? 3) How would I find the dimensions to prep the sand in the pool? 4) What concrete is best to use for filling Cinderella CP-2 coping? 5) Is there a low cost epoxy based non-slip base for rejuvenating the concrete 'deck' around the pool? 6) When prepping the sand base, would one work from shallow to deep or deep to shallow?

Thanks for taking the time to read. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I am a very capable individual with a lot of capable friends (thank god!). I have some pictures of the pool pre-clearing and can't wait to eventually see before and after pictures. Thanks! :cheers:

Pool has since been cleared of all vegitation. It truely was a jungle in there. And that's one of my knowledgeable friends in the second picture

Attachments

• Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 935
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 935
:wave: Welcome :wave:

Well, I can not help with most of your questions ...

But, I will point out that you can save some money by not replacing the ozonator. In an outdoor pool, there is absolutely no reason to have one if you keep the chlorine in the proper range for your CYA level.

If you have not already, read through Pool School (link in signature or upper right of page) a few times to get up to speed on the chemistry. You will also want to have a good test kit when you start filling ... although that is many months away.

Look forward to seeing pictures as you progress ... I am not sure I even see a pool in the pictures you posted :wink:

Any chance you could do a new shot-crete floor, plaster the new floor and old walls, and avoid the liner? You could put in a typical tile band and precast concrete or brick coping.

Just thinking out loud - don't know enough about pool construction to ensure this idea would result in a watertight vessel.

Quite a project! Good luck!!

Thanks for the input so far. As of lately, I have been finishing up removal of all 'shrubbery' that has been taking of the pool and am almost done. I would prefer to stay with the vinyl liner due to cost and ease of install/maintenance. What I am really wondering is how this PB11J holds up over time and the ease of install. I have found it on PoolProducts.com and have also come across some Youtube videos of it being installed. Anyone know ANYTHING about it?

Another issue I'm having is I have no idea what the dimensions of the pool bottom need to be. Some of the sand has washed over the years and needs to be replaced, measured and formed. Is there a 'norm' for finding out these measurements? I have toyed with the idea of asking a pool liner company to provide me with similar measurement from similar pools, but don't know if they would take their time to do that. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I will also get new pictures uploaded to show the progression from jungle to watering hole. Thanks!

edit:

Here's a link to PB111J on PoolProducts.com:
http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/product ... 688&FNM=93

wow... Looks like quite the project! Glad to hear you have some willing and capable friends to help you!

I would think if you were talking to a company that does liners about what you need to do to prepare for a liner, they should be willing to help you figure out what you need at least measurement wise if you intend to buy from them. Just good business sense to me.

I don't think there is really a "standard" as far as the depth. There maybe some "off-the-self" liner sizes, but in reality you can likely make the depth profile what ever you like and get a liner made to your specs.

Quick update. Pool is all cleared and as soon as the cold weather is over, i'm going to be starting the overhaul. I still have yet to find ANY info or recommendation of PB111J, but I really like the concept and think I'm going try it. Believe it or not, the stuff is made right in my town. Maybe I can get get them to give me a few ounces of it to try out.

I have been trying my best to clean up the sand bottom, but think that all of the small root systems need to be pulled up. I've been toying with the idea of renting a small stump grinder to tear everything up, remove the sand and then replacing. Thoughts?

Here is basically what I'm hoping to accomplish/install:

- Cinderella CP2 Aluminum Coping with new concrete/expansion joint
-Plumbed dual main drains (pool currently has none installed)
- New Sand Bottom pool with PB111J sand hardner
- InTheSwim 27mil liner attached to coping with liner lock and foam wall pads
- New Hayward Skimmer
- Hayward Super Pump (not sure on hp/speed yet)
- Hayward DE Filter (not sure on size)
- AquaRite Plus Salt Chlorine Generator 40k
- Some sort of concrete deck non slip epoxy

I will update with picture soon. Not sure if i'm going to be in over my head or not...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UnderWaterVanya said:
Around $1000 to harden the sand? I hope it ends up being fabulous.

Sent via Tapatalk...

Well, it's either going to be PB111J or Poolcrete. Not sure how i'm going to have to go about it, but I need to make a decision soon. Here is the pool after all major shrubbery has been removed. The concrete looks to be in good shape and should be looking more like a pool when I clean up all the twigs and leafs... and take out the fence. Any pros want to comment. Any advice or tips?

Attachments

• IMAG0105.jpg
    IMAG0105.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 559
  • IMAG0110.jpg
    IMAG0110.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 557
  • IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0112.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 557
Hey, bimmer,

Keep a close eye on that helper in the pics......he looks like he could be unproductive if you don't keep an eye on him.

Have you confirmed for sure what the bottom is currently made of?

duraleigh said:
Hey, bimmer,

Keep a close eye on that helper in the pics......he looks like he could be unproductive if you don't keep an eye on him.

Have you confirmed for sure what the bottom is currently made of?

Haha he's actually quite the worker... beasting out small stumps and vines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZjvX47nKtM&feature=youtu.be

Currently the base is sand, though over the years it's become more of a dirt/sand mix will all of the leaves composting. I plan on removing everything and either replacing with new sand or an acceptable bottom filler/poolcrete.

I think if it were my pool I would remove/clean up most of that sand and then put poolcrete over it.

Poolcrete is the most popular substance and a good poolcrete man should be able to do a nice job over the sand (or at least tell you what needs to be done to get it ready)

I have no experience with the PB111J stuff but I have a feeling it is for clean sand and you may have a hard time getting your sand clean enough.

Thanks for the insight Dura.

I unfortunately came across an issue that my require attention. Upon cleaning up the pool deck (picture was before the deck cleanup), I noticed that one section of the pool wall seemed a bit off. There looks to be a gap between the deck and the wall that I not notice earlier. It is easily viewed through the pool piping canal. How could this have happened? Could this be due to the section settling? Or from perhaps water getting inbetween the walls and settling? Once the existing coping is removed, can I just fill this section with hydraulic cement? The pool wall itself is perfectly vertical at 90 degrees. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Pool Wall Issue.jpg
    Pool Wall Issue.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 507
I think you need to remove all of the coping and mudcoat to see what you have before you make a decision on the new coping and liner track. The coping you have selected would be really hard to mount to the old concrete wall and is not thick enough to match up to the deck. Stegmeir makes a form that is about 3.5 inches thick that might work in this situation.

You should pressure test the plumbing now rather than later in the process.

I agree with Dave about the vermiculite pool base being the best choice for the bottom.

Really glad to see ur post- we are in a similar situation, although u seem to have a bit more work ahead of u. I have some of the same issues with the bottom and am leaning towards a vermiculite patch job over the sand then a bottom sealer paint (Tara)- gonna watch ur progress w great interest!!

Good luck!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.