Elbow joint replacement

Feb 3, 2012
Johannesburg, SA
Hi,

I need to replace the elbow joint that joins the pipe from the pool to the pipe underneath the pump housing. I've already dug up and removed the faulty elbow joint. I just need some tips on installing the replacement.

Is this right?:
1) Place pipe clamps loosely on each pipe
2) Smear some silicone sealant to the outside of the elbow joint and the inside of the two pipes.
3) Insert the elbow joint into both pipes
4) Heat up the pipes with a butane torch.
5) Position the pipe clamps and tighten them.

Here's the hole with the two pipes I have to rejoin:
IMG_20120801_134548.jpg

And where do I place the pipe clamp when tightening it? Here:
IMG_20120801_134340.jpg

Or here? Or doesn't it really matter?:
IMG_20120801_134329.jpg

when we fix irrigation lines
i tent to use 2 clamps on each end
we do not use silicone either

be careful while heating, you don't want to deform the pipe just heat it up so it can be pliable

whats the flat spot looking thing on the lower pipe?

@jblizzle: I agree, it makes more sense to me to place it over the corrugated bit. It will be more of a challenge to line up though.

@*ryan: 2 clamps on each end sounds good, would save a lot of work if one failed.

Shouldn't I bother with the silicone then? I'm thinking it will prevent the inside of the heated pipe sticking to the elbow joint, so maybe not a good idea? However, once the silicone drys it may improve the seal? I watched a pool repair guy do a similar job before but can't remember if he used silicone.

The flat spot is a result of my over eagerness to remove the joint. The inside of the pipe seems fine though.

Well it seemed to have worked. No more bubbles coming from the outlet.

For anyone that has ever worked with silicone you'll know that it gets onto everything and doesn't come off easily. So I highly recommend wearing latex gloves for this procedure. I didn't, and it of course got everywhere - my hands, my clothes and even on the dog.

I also over heated the piping, so it went a bit too soft and the hose clamps cut in a bit too deep. The intelligent thing to do would have been to wait for the the piping to cool down before tightening the clamps, but I'm way too impatient for that. It worked though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.