whisper flo ports and pipe plumbing

mr ken

Apr 29, 2008
I had decided today to get the Whisper flo WFE-2 (1/2 hp.) full rated pump...

I called Pentair to see about couplings and adapters since the ports are 2" and my piping is 1 1/2 "..

They said that I should definitely NOT use the whisper flo with my 1 1/2 inch piping...They said that the inside of the 2" ports are not treaded..
This, they say means that even with an adapter coupling to allow the 1 1/2 inch piping to join at the ports, there will be problems..

On the suction side there should be no problem as I will be increasing the pipe size from 1 1/2 to 2 inches entering the port...Actually reducing head pressure...
But on the port from the pump to the filter, with the adapter coupling, I will greatly increase pressure from 2" to 1 1/2"...
This can lead to cavitation and many problems as they stated...

They advise me to go with the Sta Rite Max E Pro 1/2 hp...This also has 2' ports, but the ports are threaded on the inside to allow a 1 1/2 inch slip..This means there will be no interruption in the 1 1/2" piping going to the pump and to the filter..

Is this true ???? It sounds like it makes sense...

2nd question...............

Many stores in my area, Orlando, don't even carry 1/2 and 3/4 hp. pumps....Some can special order them for a price about $150 to $200 above what I can get the same pump for on many internet pool store sites....They say that if I buy on the internet and not from them, that they can give no warranty........Why should I give them an extra $150-$200 just to get a warranty....

Has anyone else bought pumps online and had this happen to them????
Thanks
Ken

The ports are threaded on mine and I did use 1 1/2" pipe on it. The "ports" are where the pipe goes into the pump, correct? If so, they are threaded. I'll tell you one thing, this pump really pumps! It makes my 12 x 17 oval AG swirl like a toilet bowl.

In my pool, I have a 1.5 hp pump.

2 inch inlet pipes, and 2 inch outlet, except it necks down to 1.5 inch at the filter. So, pipe is 2 inch coming out of the pump, but it reduces to 1.5 inch when it gets to the filter. It is 1.5 inch leaving the filter, for a couple feet, then goes back to 2 inch before entering the heater.

Randy

I agree with Jason, you are better off going with all 2" for all of your equipment connections and pipe and then reduce to 1 1/2" when connecting to the pipes that go to the pool. This will be an easier plumb job and will have lower head loss.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.