Crazy chlorine question

Jul 27, 2012
I really have a question and a concern. We have a 10 x 30 summer escapes. The pump that came with is was junk so I bought a Intex 1600 gph sand filter. After getting it set up and letting it run, I noticed sand in various places on the bottom. I thought maybe the new pump was just moving more water and moving things around, so I vacummed. After about 30 minutes, I noticed sand on the bottom again. I bought the sand from a home improvement store and it said it was pool filter silica sand, 20/40 gradation. So, did I get the worng sand?

Second, my old pump had filters in it that allowed me to put 1" chlorine tablets inside the filter. With the new pump, will I need to change to a different chlorination method? Will I have to switch to granuales or use a floater? Or just add bleach from the BBB?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did backwash and rinse per the instruction manual. Is it possible I didn't do either of these for long enough? I backwashed until the water came out of the drain clear and it was clear in the sight glass. I then rinsed for about a minute. Did I do something wrong?

It sounds like you bought sand that was a mixture of 20 and 40 grade sand, or perhaps a range of sizes from #20 to #40. Sand filters are designed to take pure #20 grade sand, .45 - .55. particle size. #40 grade is too fine and will tend to leak out of the filter.

Everything else you describe sounds correct. You don't have to stop using your current chlorine source, though we recommend using bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.