How close do pump and SWG rates have to match?

Jul 31, 2012
Finally made the plunge in to the Intex metal frame world recently. I'm intending to add a sand filter and SWG to the 16' x 48" before next season.

For the SWG, I think I've settled on Intex #54601, rated at 1650gph. For the filter, #56673 matches this flow pretty well at 1600 gph. For not much more money, I could get #56671 with nearly 2X the media. Is a 2650 gph pump too much for the 1650 gph SWG?

Thanks.

I know you have gotten an answer to your question, but I thought I would mention low flowrates are usually the issue with swg's...not high flow rates. For example, I was running the swg you mention with the intex 637R catridge/pump which is rated at 1000 gph. It worked fine with this pump when the cartridge was clean, but usually didn't work when the cartridge was slightly dirty due to the lower flow.

The intex swg will have no problem with either of the sand filter your mentioned.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.