First real "problem" with pool. White Flakes.

Aug 18, 2011
I have searched previous post regarding these white flakes. I do not have a SWG. Pool was installed in June. IG Vinyl liner roughly 17,000 gallons w/ DE filter. 1.5 HP
This past Saturday we had a party with a large pool load. The following day on Sunday we noticed white flakes throughout the water. Ran a full test and everything seemed in range. Although we had added some water before party and I the CYA was a bit low.

Test from Sunday
TC-5.5
CH-230
TA-120
PH-7.8
CYA-20

Using Pool calculator, I added Muriatic Acid to bring down PH and stabilizer to bring up CYA to 40 and Chlorine to shock level of 10 overnight.

Monday morning
TC- 10.5
PH-7.2

Flakes still in pool not as bad.

This morning;

TC-5.5
TA-120
CH-180
PH-7.2

So, I'm assuming this is some sort of residue? We've brushed and vacuumed pool. Should I bring it back up to shock levels? Is this calcium? If so, what do I do?

No, no drainage of water. I have to believe that Sunday's Calcium Hardness test was incorrect. I should of retested but, unfortunately I didn't. I tested it twice this morning. Both times coming up with 180.

Okay. So I think I found the culprit. I went and cleaned out the pump filter and there was a couple of pieces of pasta in there. :shock: Really people???!! Please don't eat near/in the pool! :grrrr:

Hope everything clears up from here!

WOW! This is pretty epic! The things people do, that's gotta be one for the books, especially to break up like that into what sounded like a bad case of dandruff. LOL

Don't let those guests over anymore, or ban them from the pool deck. HAHA

@Techguy,
Seeing as the pasta test would likely identify simply just the presence of pasta in the pool, a durum based test, I think we'd have to call it the PA test. Since we already know it's spaghetti, then I don't think there'd be a reason to test for that. Unless we need to know how much is in there, so we can put a wheat neutralizer in there and how much of it to put in, then again, I think the PA test would tell us that, whether it be rigatoni, penne, or what have you. ;-)

Re: First real "problem" with pool. White Flakes.

Now...wait a minute... I have been eating gluten free, does this mean I need to test my pool for gluten also? Oy vey!

I guess the test would be a G+ test, like at Trader Joes.

HAHA! :p
Gluten shouldn't make your skin react, it's pretty harmless to skin. So you should be good. :)

G+ test @ TJ's? What do they have that they call that, obviously it's for gluten, but is it for one's tolerance to it, or to see if it's in a product, or what?

*Walks into techguy's pool room, finds super gargantuan chem lab setup.*

Re: First real "problem" with pool. White Flakes.

At TJs, they mark the gluten free items with a shelf sign that has a G and a plant that looks like a plus ign. It means the product itself is certified G free and was processed in a g free facility. If you are a Celiac, I am not, you can have very severe reactions if the food is even prepared on a machine, work surface, grill or fryer that has has gluten based items prepared on or in it (cross contamination ) G free is critical for these people.

Gluten is in any item made with wheat and several other grains. Look at your diet one day and try to take all of the wheat out of your day, then try it at a fast food joint.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Aaah, OK, so it's a Gluten free indicator is all. I was thinking it was a test kit or something. Always me, over thinking things. ;)

Yeah, trust me, I'll never be taking gluten out of my diet, not gonna happen. But I know it's in so many things, even medication. I just couldn't, me loooooves his gluten way too much. NOM NOM NOM!! :D

But it's terrible, for those that truly have an allergy to it, so awful, I feel for them. =\
I have environmental allergies up the wazoo though. I'm allergic to every plant, grass, tree & weed that grows in the wild, with very few exceptions. Also, if I'm, not allergic to it, I will almost always become so within 1-3yrs. So for me, Claratin is a joke, I have to take muuuuch stronger stuff and many different ones, like a cocktail if you will. Some years, it's so bad, even taking 6 different medications, I still have to dawn a pollen/dust mask, just so I can breath.

So I can totally relate to those that have any kind of allergy, I have one major food intolerance, but not an actual allergy. I feel for them, for sure. Of all things, gluten? UGH!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.