Partially blocked return to waterfall / Polaris noise

Montare67

LifeTime Supporter
May 20, 2009
Naples, FL
Hi all.

Was out of town for a 10 days to find my pool caretaker took less than good care of the pool. They allowed the water to go below the skimmers (luckily was still set to draw from the bottom drain). Managed to get the valves all our of sync in trying to turn on the heater..... Had another friend (who owns a pool) stop over and resolve those issues. Two days before I returned we had the Derecho storm come through that blew a tree and 2 potted plants into the pool and no power for 5 days.

I cleaned everything up and restarted the pump to find that the Polaris booster pump screeching like the bearings were shot - so I tore it down and found the ceramic seal/cup melted. Replaced the impeller, seal, cup and o-ring and started it back up, but the high pitched screech continues. Is the motor bad or maybe the bearings on the back of the shaft are shot?

Also an issue with the waterfall having very low pressure. The waterfall is home run to the pump where 2 Ts split off to 4 2" lines going the waterfall, 2 returns, 4 deckjets, the Polaris cleaner. Pressure is good to the other returns, so it seems something is stuck in the waterfall return line. Filter pressure is 16-18psi and will go to 50-60 if i close off all but the waterfall. I get some water, but nowhere near were is should be.....Any suggestions how to clear an obstruction somewhere in the 60' of return line to the waterfall?

Any suggestions before i call in the professionals?

As always- great forum.
thank you
Eric

Thanks - I thought about that, but was concerned with the 1/4" slit opening at the waterfall end that I may end up just pushing something further down the line and having it stuck behind the waterfall. I have no idea what could be intriduced into the piping after the filter/heater. I checked the check valve and the flapper/assembly is still in place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.