New Build - Omaha, NE

Jul 30, 2012
I've pretty much picked my PB after 4 bids. Now I just can't decide where I need to push on construction or options. I only have so much room so going with 20X46 rectangle as I really would like Diving (kids want 10yo and 8 yo) and volleyball (mom wants). I'm not going crazy but plan to build with some upgrades, stamped/colored concrete and coping, etc...I sit up on top of a high hill and my back yard is a retaining wall, so it will look a bit like an infinity pool. Thus here is my pool build if any of you have suggestions, things I forgot, things I shouldn't do, or can answer my line item questions for this pool rookie. Thanks!

1) How deep would you do for diving? Right now I'm at 8.5ft.
2) My PB says at 8.5ft then I need 29 for deep end and 17 for shallow. I really want 20ft for volleyball. If I look at the ANSI standards it appears that I only need 23ft for 8 ft deep, 25.5ft for 8.5 deep. Thoughts?
3) Vinyl Liner Pool. I'm still undecided on dark blue or tan. I've been reading on these forums and can't really tell if the dark blue really saves you that much on heat. Contract says 28 mil. I saw some posts that 28mil on wall and 20 mil on bottom. Do they really make those?
4) Wall System - Galvanized Steel, Steps - Steel liner covered / Pacific
5) Filter 30" Sand, Pump 1.5HP, Heater 400,000 BTU, Propane, 2" Schedule 40 PVC Skimmers - 2, 4 Returns, 2 Bottom Drains
6) Pool Lighting 300W Clear - 2
7) Mesh Winter Covers 5X5 stapping
8) SWG - I hear this is the best on these forums for ease of maintenance. We always on the go and will pay for ease. However, not good with soft stone, etc.. If I do concrete coping, am I ok?

Total $46,0000

Options: Any of these you are happy with or not? Glad you upgraded?Cartridge Filter $500
Variable Speed Pump $800
Heat Pump $3,500
Auto Cleaner Dolphin M4 $1,100
Frog Mineral System $550. I read Don't do this as it adds metals and leaves stains
Delta UV System $1,000. I read these are not worth it for outdoor pools?
Extra pool light 500W Clear $700
LED: $700
Diving Board $1,200
Colored Ladder / Handrail $300
Custom Steps & Bench $3,000. Right now the drawing shows corner steps and the bench extends the length of shallow. Do people find benches useful? Will they get used? I was debating steps in the pool (that take up my shallow end space) vs steps outside of the pool rectangle coming in.
Pentair Easytouch $2,500
Laminar $1,700 each
Pentair Water Jet $500 each
Volleyball Set $600
Baseketball Set $850

Am I missing anything?? Thanks everyone! I'll keep posting pictures and how the build is going.

Re: New Build - Omana, NE

Jennifer, welcome to TFP! I have nothing to offer in terms of answering questions about an IG build, just wanted to welcome a fellow Nebraskan - I'm on my way to Omaha at this very moment, in fact. I can't wait to see your pool build pictures(at least I hope you will be posting a bunch)! Congrats on being on your way to a new pool!!

Thanks! It would help if I spelled Omaha correctly! I actually live in Bennington just outside the city. I've upload just one angle of my yard. Already have the outdoor kitchen, firepit, and fire columns. This is just the icing on the cake. Nervous and excited at the same time. Also debating if I should rough in electrical for a free standing hot tub. All pool builder here are against having the hot tub connected to the pool as you have to shut both down in the fall.

Attachments

• pool yard2.jpg
    pool yard2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 832
You have a beautiful back yard already! I'm looking forward to the pictures. You are waaay ahead of the game by learning here BEFORE the pool goes in.
Be sure to get a TF100 test kit!

I 100% that both "the Frog" and the "UV" system is a pass. There are NO need for these items. In ANY new pool anymore I'd suggest a SWG...but if cost is a major concern then just pass for now and go with bleach. Rock, concrete, whatever....they'll work just fine. The upgrade to a cartridge filter seems high to me? Most of the time the builder gives you a choice between DE, cartridge, or sand at the same cost. Most are the same cost to them...and the same work to install. The benefits from one to another are small......It's honestly your choice in what you want. I'd also upgrade the lights to 2 LED now....as you'll wish you had later.

Which pump is in the quote?
I would recommend going with a 2-speed ... 1.5HP may even be more than you actually need if you do not have water features.

Are the skimmers and floor drains plumbed separately to the equipment pad?

You have a lot of options there and it is very easy for us to say ... just get everything, but it is not our wallet ;)

Thanks guys. Money is not a big restraint. I'm willing to pay for what makes sense in terms of quality, ease of use/maintenance, etc...

The contract says 1.5HP circulating pump and then shows option to do variable speed pump for another $800.

I have no idea if the skimmers and floor drains plumbed separately to the equipment pad? It doesn't give a lot of details in contract. Is that a must and why?

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
JenniferNE said:
I have no idea if the skimmers and floor drains plumbed separately to the equipment pad? It doesn't give a lot of details in contract. Is that a must and why?

Perfect example of how people get all wound up about the bells and whistles with no consideration for the nuts and bolts.

The separate runs allow for better control of where the water is coming from. Also, with multiple pipes, there is lower head loss so you get higher flow rates with the same pump.

Many of these upgrades seem pretty expensive ... but if you don't care ... then great.

The variable speed is certainly more flexible, but depending on your electric rates, it may never pay for itself and a 2-speed would get you most of the savings ... but again if you don't care about costs, then it does not matter.

JBlizzle - Maybe I didn't say that right. I do care about cost. I'm not rich. I'm just saying that I have saved up for this and willing to pay for quality and some convenience/splash but not for things uneccessarily and not at any huge markup. I am concerned about the "Nut and Bolts" too in addition to the options. That's while I have been combing the net and looking for expert advice, even for a fee as I know once it is in the ground, I'm stuck. So, I am trying to educate myself so that I have a well built pool that will last a long time. Thanks!

No P in my ool - I got bids from 3 builders and ended up going with Bell Pools out of Gretna.

I went with at tan liner. You can find pictures of it here....

new-pool-in-nc-t40813.html

(sorry, I am on my iPhone and actually linking to it is a pain)

I really like the look of the tan liner, as it gives the water the look of "the islands". I do, however, believe that it shows dirt on the bottom more than blue, but I have never owned another so just my guess. With the Tigershark, it is no worry though....

We also have a SWG, and it is awesome. After the initial startup in April, I have only added $25 worth of salt, and $20 worth of CYA. I think that may be more than a normal year as we have had allot of rain and I have had to drain quite a bit of water. Other than those two items, I have not added anything.

We only have one 500w light, and it is more than fine by me. Our pool is used for swimming, and not nighttime entertainment, so that could be why. As a matter of fact, we have only been out by the pool at night a handful of times. I imagine as my kids get older (6 and 2), and twir bedtimes extend beyond 8:00-8:30, that may change and at that point we may change though?

Good luck, and if we can help, let us know!

Ok. Based on the feedback, I think I'm down to the following on Basica Build and Options in my note below to my Pool Builder. Let me know if you think I'm missing anything. :) I'll post some pictures now too.

Pool Specifications
Note: I want all accessories and pool parts (skimmer lids, poles, etc…) to be the tan/copper color. No WHITE.
Pool Shape and Size: 20X46 Rectangle with integrated liner covered corner steps. If I need 24 ft of length for deep end (8 ft deep), then rest of 20-22ft play pool for volleyball/basketball. See email of 7/30 “I just really want to make sure we cannot have more shallow end before we get started. When I look at the ANSI standards (http://www.divingboardsafety.net/Standa ... -pools.pdf), it shows the following below. Thus from the deep end to the shallow end I only need 23ft for 8 ft deep, 25.5ft for 8.5 deep, and 28.5ft for 9ft deep. Even on the 16X40 Lazy L drawing you gave me previously, the 8 ft deep end only took up 24 ft. So, I'm just trying to figure out why mine now takes 29 ft. I would l like to have the safest diving possible and at least 20 ft of shallow to play volleyball.”
Pool Deck/Coping to be done by Brian Reiman: Large as structurally possible. Wrap pool deck from edge of east retaining wall all the way to far north fire column. Want to ensure drainage is good and electrical is roughed in for hot tub.
Hot Tub: TBD if want. Rough in electrical, etc… to make sure to have room on pool deck to NorthWest of pool for freestanding hot tub to see TVs, etc…
Type: Heated. Salt Water - IntelliChlor
Lights: YES. 2 Intellibrites 5 color changing LED with White. Have them face away from house with dimmer switch.
Accessories: Diving Board, Basketball Hoop, and Volleyball Net. Want Volleyball sleeves have covers that are flush with deck and are good quality inserts. See below.
Handrails / Slide Rails / Volleyball & Basketball Poles, etc… Want a Oil Rubbed bronze color finish. Powder coat. See below.
Landscaping to be done by Dave Bressman : All Landscaping along South retaining wall can be taken out and redone. It’s overgrown. Want boulders, landscaping to blend the pool and pump house in the yard so that it looks natural and not an afterthought or a cold municipal pool.
Liner and Winter Cover: Plastimayd Sandstone Bottom, no Border 20MIL. Darker color to retain heat. Coverlogix 5000M Mesh TAN with decorative brass flange. Is it worth it to upgrade to no Sunblock to prevent algae? Coverlogix better than Loop Loc? – Do they keep serial number/dimensions for replacement?
Pump House: Place pump equipment in Pool House. Hide with landscaping. Make sure Equipment Pad is large enough for expansion? Should be since it is part of Pool House foundation.
Water Feature: Want the 3 streamling lights on side opposite of house, shooting towards house. Would like Misters too.
Quality: I’m looking to discuss options to make sure I have quality on pool construction and less headaches down the road as well as reduced maintenance and energy costs.

Other Considerations I read about?
Sub Panel at the equipment pad rather than direct lines from the main panel?
Solar Blanket? Do Liquid Blankets work?
Skimmer Placement – Wind Blows from NW to SE. Skimmer installed on non-traffic side?
Return inlet on the step area helps to keep debris from settling? Return line to the stairs? Robot does not well.

Options:
28 Mil Liner. $500 – NO –Plastimayd.com Sandstone (tan liner). No Boarder, only comes in 20Mil
Variable Speed Pump Intelliflo $800 - YES Worth it compared to 2 Speed? Electrical Costs Long-Term?
Auto Cleaner: Dolphin M4 Supreme (36’) $1,100 – YES Update to Supreme M5 at $1250
Heat Pump $3,500 - NO – Not sure if worth it to save on heating costs?
Filter – DE Sand Included – Quad 80 DE filter?
LED Lights $700 – YES, Intellibrites 5 Color Changing w/ White, Credit light from bid
Diving Board $1,200 – YES – Inter-Fab Boulder Springs Diving Base. Tan Board with Rustic Sandstone Base, 8 Ft, or should I go 6 or 10ft? ($403+$621)
Colored Handrail $150 – YES Inter-Fab Coppervein Color
Colored Ladder $150 – YES Inter-Fab Coppervein Color

Pentair Easytouch $2,500 – YES $1823 on web for 8F/40,000 Gallon SWG
Pentair Laminar w/ Tan Deck Lid $1700 – YES? (Jandy Pour a Lid Option?) $667 each on web
Pentair Deck Jets II $500 each – NO – Believe I Want Laminar as they are deck jets with lights
Laminars – Need own pump and filter? $252 each on web.
Misting System Recommend? Don wants.
Depth Tile Markers $15 Each – Want Cool Stone/Colored ones but can’t find.
Volleyball Set $600 – YES Inter-Fab Coppervein Color, Bronze Anchors $561
Basketball Set $850 – YES Inter-Fab Coppervein Color, Bronze Anchors $782
Frog Mineral System NO
Delta UV System NO
Custom Bench NO
AutoFill with shut off valve/overflow drain TBD – YES

Lesson #1. IF you are building a home that needs a Septic, do NOT let your builder cheap out and put it right behind the house in case you want to do something in your Backyard ----Like a POOL! It cost be $3900 to move my septic tank 15 feet and shorten some laterals to get within code. UUUGH.

Attachments

• pool moving septic.jpg
    pool moving septic.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 477

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.