new to pools need help!

Jul 30, 2012
Florida
Hi All, please bare with me as I'm new to owning a pool. I read test, test, test, sorry havn't had a chance to do that yet. Just bought a house with a pool that is gross to say the least. A little on the pool, what I know so far, its inground oval, gunite, its about 12 by 25 feet. Not sure on how many gallons, new pump 1.65 hp, cartridge filter, all are working.
What I would like to know is, pool had about a foot of water in the deep end, we filled it. Put new pump in made sure its working, and as i said it is. There were frogs and tadpoles in the water that was in there when we started, got them out, added liquid chlorine about 8 gallons. The water has gone from black to green, but there is silt or mud in it, and algae. In the process of trying to net and skim some of the silt out of the water waiting on test kit. Been cleaning the filter out about every half hour.
What should I do now while waiting on the test kit, do I get a cheap one in walmart and continue, should I not add any more chlorine?
Oh yea one more thing, like I said the pool had only about a foot of water in the deep end when we bought. Every one said get water in it quick, worry about cleaning it up after its filled. So thats what we did, also had to fill with well water, we did filter the hose.
Where do I go from here?????

Read pool school as the pool is filling. While you are waiting for your big test kit to arrive, take a sample to the local pool store for a test so they can look at metals and give you some idea of what your water contains in the way of TA and CH. You know that FC and CYA will be zero. Knowing TA gives you an idea of what pH the pool will tend toward and so you can get educated on controlling pH.

Once the pool is filled you may find that you need help with mechanical items. Post what you can here, with photos when possible. Someone will be along that can help there.

Take a look at what chemicals are laying about, if any, as well as pool tools and parts and such. Find the Visual Encyclopedia and be sure you have a leaf rake and a good telescoping pole, find the parts to the pool vac.

Begin a Pool Book, listing what you can about the equipment and the chemicals you have on hand. List all water tests and everything you add to the pool. Add to this any notes you take while reading Pool School. Then stop to play with the Pool Calculator a bit, to get comfortable with how to begin there.

Once the pool is full and you have circulation, you will adjust pH and then when that is stable, ou will begin adding chlorine and CYA. Buy some CYA sufficient to get the pool to 30 ppm, you will have to estimate volume. You might want to note what the water meter reads now and when it is full, though if you use much water for other purposes that will be in error. Use the Pool Calculator to estimate pool volume and to decide how much chemicals to add.

Check your data with someone here before you put anything into the pool.

dreamweaver1:

A good test kit and reading Pool School as others have posted is well advised.

Anonapersona brings up a great point that is often overlooked: A Pool Book (or log). I maintain a weekly log. For me, a weekly log gives me the data I am primarily interested in (trend information) with minimal effort. Here's my test schedule:
  • 1. I test FC and pH daily during swim season and 2-3 times per week during the off-season (I keep pool operational year-round even though it is too cold to swim for 4-5 months/year).
  • 2. I test TA weekly
  • 3. I test the following monthly or as needed: CYA, CH, and salt. Even though I have a non-SWG pool, all forms of chlorine add salt and I'm curious as to what the salt level is and it enables me to calculate the Calcite Saturation Index (CSI)

Once a week (usually on the weekend), I input into the log the results of the tests I ran that day and the most recent results for tests that I run monthly. Other information includes water temperature, current average pump run time, and a notes column where I can add any pertinent information I did that week such as whether I shocked the pool (rarely), water additions, backwash, any special chemical additions (such as stabilizer/CYA), partial drain & refill (haven't done that since switching to BBB), major equipment repair or replacement, surface refinishing, etc.

The main value this provides me with is trend and reference information. I now have over a year's worth of data. If something should suddenly vary from the trend (especially over the same period from the prior year) that would clue me in to something I might want to investigate.

BTW, consider adding some details on your pool to your signature (see http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/read_before_you_post) for some suggestions

Thank you for the reply's, its a foreclosure we bought so there is no way to get info on the pool. Learning as we go, I will take a sample to the local pool store and see what they say. We already filled the pool, it seems to be holding the water, and we fired up the pump, all seems to be working. Now to clean up the water, its green cant see the bottom, can see down about a foot. Have a leaf rake, pole, brush, net, skimmer, and vac. with hose.
I will post the results of test from store as soon as I get them. We sent away for a good test kit when that comes I will test again. Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.