Just received my TF-100 test kit in the mail, here are my first "real" results:

FC: 6.5
CC: 0.5
TC: 7
CYA: 38
PH: 7.2
CH: 460
TA: 160

My pool comes from well water, yes it is known to be hard. Also, since I have an automatic pool cover, the water only sees the sun maybe 1% of the time... is CYA level very important to me?

I was a bit disappointed in the CC level of 0.5, I'd like to see that go away.

I'm 10 days past a Clorox shock, where the water cleared up SIGNIFICANTLY! Yay! FC has stayed above 5 the entire time since shocking at 12ppm for 5 days.

Based on reading other posts, maybe I should aerate to raise pH, then knock it back down with MA - trying to lower the TA. Other suggestions?

- Mark -

The sunlight would burn off your CC, given that your pool only sees 1%, that makes sense. You shouldn't experience very much chlorine loss at all if you keep the pool covered that much, unless you have a super high bather load during the 1%. Yes, the correct way to reduce TA is to add MA to reduce pH to 7.2 then aerate back up to 7.8 then MA back down to 7.2, until you get your TA to a number that you can live with.

Leaving the cover on tends to drive up the CC level. If CC is being a problem you should leave the cover open more often.

There is a great article on lowering TA in Pool School, though you already described the basic idea perfectly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.