Umbrella sleeves in tanning ledge

bpricedo

Silver Supporter
May 20, 2012
So I have to figure this out in the next couple of days. Our tanning ledge is circular, 10' diameter. It is tempting to stick the umbrella right in the center but this actually would result in only half of the ledge having shade due to the angle of the sun. My thought was to have two sleeves offset to the south side of the ledge so that the shade covers the ledge, one sleeve to the east and one to the west so the umbrella could be positioned correctly for am and pm sun angles. How does that sound?

Anyone with sleeves wish they had positioned them differently? Any other bright ideas out there?

Yes, I want one on each side. They will be in the floor of the ledge. Good to hear that it works well for you.

I was standing outside today with an umbrella trying to find the best two spots!

bpricedo said:
So I have to figure this out in the next couple of days. Our tanning ledge is circular, 10' diameter. It is tempting to stick the umbrella right in the center but this actually would result in only half of the ledge having shade due to the angle of the sun. My thought was to have two sleeves offset to the south side of the ledge so that the shade covers the ledge, one sleeve to the east and one to the west so the umbrella could be positioned correctly for am and pm sun angles. How does that sound?

Anyone with sleeves wish they had positioned them differently? Any other bright ideas out there?

I have three tanning ledges with a sleeve in the center of each. I should have moved them off to the side. The umbrella pole is smack in the way...

Just a thought here... My advice would be to put umbrella sleeves on the deck. When kids (or adults) knock into the pole, it could jeopardize the integrity of the plaster/gunite, and perhaps cause a problem (leak) down the road.

imrodee said:
Just a thought here... My advice would be to put umbrella sleeves on the deck. When kids (or adults) knock into the pole, it could jeopardize the integrity of the plaster/gunite, and perhaps cause a problem (leak) down the road.

They are 6 inch brass sleeves. The PB said that he digs out underneath them at least 6 inches deep so that they are surrounded by a large amount of gunite when the shell is shot. So they don't penetrate through the shell so shouldn't have a leak issue.

I haven't thought about sleeves in the deck, I'm sure you could drill and put those in later but I will consider it. We will have a pergola over part of the deck eventually (hopefully for next swim season) so will have some shade on the deck.

That's good. I'm sure he knows what he's doing! I having my umbrella sleeve put on the deck, next to the tanning ledge.. For the grandbabies and us old ladies that need shade. Like you, we hope to add a pergola by next year. We'll see.

Enjoy your pool!!!

Did you figure out where you where going to put your sleeves? I put one by the tanning ledge,
and one down by a ledge over by the spa. Now.. need umbrellas. ALWAYS something!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The two large black pipes sticking up are where the sleeves will go. One side for the morning and the other for the afternoon, hopefully works as well as planned!
b5f50c9a.jpg

The other two pipes are (or will be) bubblers.

Hi, I am at the very beginning stages of planning a pool. I want to have several umbrella sleeves in my deck and want them to NOT be plastic, but everywhere I look it is a plastic sleeve...I noticed you referenced brass sleeves...where do you find these???? Thanks!

Thank you thank you thank you! :-D Do you happen to know the diameter of the hole inside the pipe... is it plenty big for an umbrella pole? If it is really big, how do you keep the umbrella in. Probably dumb questions... sorry.
PS: They are really expensive, but I just don't want anything to crack inside and I love the idea of the cover not getting warped in the sun over time, so this is perfect.

The sleeves are 2" diameter and umbrella poles are 1 1/2". I took a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe about 18" long and it fits snugly in the sleeve while the umbrella pole goes inside the PVC pipe. You can paint the PVC pipe to match the umbrella pole.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.