Water in new pool off Level

Jul 29, 2012
Hello- just filled my new 24 foot round 52 inch AG that was put in 4 days ago and the water is off level by 1 and 1/2 inches from one point on one side of the pool to another point directly opposite. At other points around the pool it is not off by that much although it is not perfectly level. Do I need to relevel the pool or give it some time and keep a close eye on it? Thank you.
eebee65

Is this an intex style, or a traditional agp style?

I think 1 inch is the max for most agp pool manufacturers, and I would expect better than that. If you had it installed "professionally", seems like they did not do a good job and should fix it.

linen edit: I am not finding a reference to the 1 inch, so I may be wrong on that...1.5 inch still seems like a lot if the pool was just installed.

I know on my pool, it stated in big letters not to be off by more that an inch from one side to the other or pool failure could happen. There is NO WAY to relevel once it has been set, other than starting over. Leveling is the most critical part of the whole process.

Do you have sand under your liner? Are your post set on patio blocks?

Personally I think you're good if you are off at most 1 and one half inches (if this is a temporary pool that will be taken down each year). That is only 1 of the little squares on the liner. I've seen lots of pools out of level more than that. But that's just me. I think it's safe and I don't think you have any worry of collapse. What are the legs resting on. What I did to a friends pool was the following (he was out a little over 2 inches):

His legs were resting on pieces of 3/4 inch plywood (which I would recommend over pavers on a temporary pool) which were resting on sand. We jacked up legs a little in some places, and in other places I used a hose to wash the sand from under the boards bit by bit until the legs settled to a relatively level position. I got VERY VERY close this way. Jacking up is scary but it can be done. One thing to watch out for is MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS OR HANDS UNDER THE BOARDS THAT YOU'RE WASHING SAND OUT FROM UNDER. IF THEY SETTLE YOU ARE IN FOR A BIT OF PAIN OR BROKEN BONES!! Of course this will only work if your legs are on sand or some washable material. If some people post and recommend against this method, then I won't argue. It's just something that worked for me.

If your post are ok, level from one side to the other, then you should only have to redo the sand. The best way to determine this is to use a laser level, can be rented and most rental stores and easiest to use at night. You can use it during the day if you have a story pole and laser receiver also, I just like how I can mark a 2X2 and then go to the other side of the pool to see if the post match up, or at least close.

If it is your post being not level, I would be very leery of the stability of it. You get a bunch of kids in there and they start surging the water, you may have a big problem.

1. The water is level, the pool isn't
2. 1.5" is more than the industry average of 1" and thus most pool manufacturers would say you are beyond their recommendation (ie: warranty). Some people here feel that 2" is truly the limit - not that I'm advancing that opinion myself.
3. The only way to level, if its a steel walled pool and not an Intex, is to drain it and level everything properly.

Most posters with this problem are usually looking for someone to tell them it's ok to leave it up - that's your call. Be aware that your pool has something like 100,000 pounds of water and if it fails there is potential for property damage and/or injury - especially if there's kids around.

At minimum you need to monitor it, if it continues to get worse it needs to be fixed to avoid total failure.

Cramer's right on with his advice.

Was the pool level before filling it (i.e. were the pavers level...this is very important)?

If they were then you have settling and it may settle more.

Where the pavers were placed, did you dig down to your lowest undisturbed ground?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is a permanent steel-walled pool- a Fijian 24 round and 52"inches high. Yes the pavers were leveled and placed as low as we could go. I think that linen is correct. I think I may have settling at one side of the pool. Nobody is going in the pool until I get it leveled up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.