SWG cell explosion

ganselmi

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 10, 2009
Roma - Italy
This happened to a friend of mine a couple of days ago, but i'd like to share with you his experience.
Notwithstanding I clearly have advised him to switch the SWG machine off while backwashing and rinsing the filter, my friend, not only has forgotten it but he also had the great idea to close all the cell bypass valves.
As a result after a few minutes the sgw cell exploded and it was a quite big explosion, fortunately he was far enough to not be invested by clorine gases, but .......
The cell container was made with a transparent plastic (about 8 mm thick) and it was impressing how it got destroied.
In the next days I'll post some picture in orr to let you figure it out.
So don't keep the bypass valves closed, never!!!!
Unless you are really sure that the SWG machine is powered off !

I do not even know what bypass valves are ... never had any. If the plumbing was done correctly, there should have been a flow switch preventing the cell from generating with no flow (unless that switch also failed).

I would be very interested to see some pictures of the plumbing (or what is left) to try to better understand what happened.

The plumbing has been done accordingly to the SWG instructions, the bypass valves are mainly required in case you need to remove the cell, i.e. during the winter I use it in order to remove the cell and keeping the pump running for 1 hour/day.
Tomorrow I'll take some picture of plumbing and cell.

As promised. here a couple of pictures of the cell and plumbing, the Compupool unit is supposed to have an internal water fault sensor but it looks like not working as you can see.

Attachments

• foto.JPG
    foto.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 593
  • foto(1).JPG
    foto(1).JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 575
So even though it's possible that a SWG cell can explode, it requires a lot of stupid mistakes to combine to actually make it happen. You have to power the SWG with no flow, (so the flow sensor has to fail, be bypassed or installed wrong) and you have to seal up both ends of the cell tight enough to contain the pressure of the gas being generated. That requires a whole lot of either carelessness or intential dumb decisions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So even though it's possible that a SWG cell can explode, it requires a lot of stupid mistakes to combine to actually make it happen. You have to power the SWG with no flow, (so the flow sensor has to fail, be bypassed or installed wrong) and you have to seal up both ends of the cell tight enough to contain the pressure of the gas being generated. That requires a whole lot of either carelessness or intential dumb decisions.

Hey Chief, don't the fire fighters / hazmat guys train for something called BLEVE - Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion?

Maybe SWG owners need some BLEVE training video ;)

There's no need to seal the ends of the cell. The gasses just need to build up in the system somewhere. Then you need something to detonate the mixture of gasses.

In my opinion, the hydrogen gas by itself is probably not causing the explosion. I think that it's the combination of chlorine gas and hydrogen gas that creates the hazardous condition. The two gasses together are much easier to detonate than hydrogen by itself.

Cell explosions are rare, but they do happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.